US: Gap same-store sales fell 4% in January
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc today booked a 4% drop in January comparable sales as it took steps to clear merchandise - and lifted its fourth quarter earnings guidance.
The San Francisco based retailer said net sales fell 1% to $833m in the four weeks to 28 January, compared with $843m in the same period last year.
Comparable sales - including online sales - in its north American operations fell 5% at Gap, rose 6% at Banana Republic, and dropped 6% at Old Navy. International same-store sales fell 10%.
"January was largely clearance-based, and we're pleased we successfully cleared holiday inventory," said Glenn Murphy, chairman and chief executive officer of Gap Inc. "As we transition to a new year, our teams are focused on making the necessary steps to improve our business performance in 2012."
The company also said net sales in the fourth quarter fell 2% to $4.28bn from $4.36bn, with comparable sales down 4%. And for the full year, sales fell 1% to $14.55bn from $14.66bn, with a 4% drop in comparable sales.
But it expects diluted earnings per share to be in the range of $0.41 to $0.42 in the fourth quarter, above First Call consensus of $0.35.
While cities such as Milan, Paris, New York and London have historically been seen as the global 'fashion hubs' - acting as meeting spots for high-end designers, fashion shows, luxury retail outlets a...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' June 2012 sales results. ...
After a weaker April, many US retailers reported stronger May sales, with a number recording better-than expected results. ...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' May 2012 sales results. ...
Gap Inc said its first Old Navy store outside of North America opened today (July) in Tokyo, Japan. ...
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020