US: Gap same-store sales fell 4% in January
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc today booked a 4% drop in January comparable sales as it took steps to clear merchandise - and lifted its fourth quarter earnings guidance.
The San Francisco based retailer said net sales fell 1% to $833m in the four weeks to 28 January, compared with $843m in the same period last year.
Comparable sales - including online sales - in its north American operations fell 5% at Gap, rose 6% at Banana Republic, and dropped 6% at Old Navy. International same-store sales fell 10%.
"January was largely clearance-based, and we're pleased we successfully cleared holiday inventory," said Glenn Murphy, chairman and chief executive officer of Gap Inc. "As we transition to a new year, our teams are focused on making the necessary steps to improve our business performance in 2012."
The company also said net sales in the fourth quarter fell 2% to $4.28bn from $4.36bn, with comparable sales down 4%. And for the full year, sales fell 1% to $14.55bn from $14.66bn, with a 4% drop in comparable sales.
But it expects diluted earnings per share to be in the range of $0.41 to $0.42 in the fourth quarter, above First Call consensus of $0.35.
While cities such as Milan, Paris, New York and London have historically been seen as the global 'fashion hubs' - acting as meeting spots for high-end designers, fashion shows, luxury retail outlets a...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' June 2012 sales results. ...
After a weaker April, many US retailers reported stronger May sales, with a number recording better-than expected results. ...
The following is a general roundup of US apparel and shoe retailers' May 2012 sales results. ...
Gap Inc said its first Old Navy store outside of North America opened today (July) in Tokyo, Japan. ...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- H&M goes green with Conscious Denim
- TPP talks "make progress" but issues remain
- Adidas defends position despite investor unrest
- US cotton production set to decline
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details