US: Gap to close two distribution centres in Hebron
Specialty clothing retailer Gap Inc is to close two distribution centres in Hebron, Kentucky in a move aimed at driving efficiency, but will also put 350 jobs at risk.
In a statement issued to just-style yesterday (17 January), the company said: "Gap is making adjustments to its distribution model for its brands to drive efficiency, speed to market and product availability for customers.
"As a result, we are announcing that we have made the very difficult decision to close two product distribution centres in Hebron, Kentucky, effective 30 June. The two other Gap facilities on the Hebron campus - the National Recovery Center and Dolwick Logistics Business Center, are not affected and will continue to operate as they do today."
The San Francisco-based retailer said it also continues to operate distribution centres across the US - in Fresno, California, Gallatin, Tennessee, Fishkill and New York.
"The decision to make this shift was difficult because it will result in the loss of jobs at these two facilities in Northern Kentucky. Our plan is to close the distribution centres in a phased approach," the statement said.
"Consistent with the company's values and history of treating employees fairly, Gap will work closely with our employees over the coming months to make this transition as smooth as possible, and to help as many impacted employees as possible find other employment opportunities."
Workers will leave the company in a phased approach over the next three to five months, starting mid-April through to late summer, a spokesperson for Gap told just-style.
The Gap Inc offers casual, mid-tier clothing to Mexican consumers through department stores and recently in 2012 by opening its first flagship Gap store in the country....
Unveiling a new five-year plan to improve worker safety at the factories in Bangladesh that produce their clothing, North American brands and retailers were keen to stress the similarities between the...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Sports and Fitness Clothing in US$ Million by the following Product Segments: Sports Apparel, and Fitness Clothing. The report provides separate comprehe...
This report analyzes the worldwide market for Denim Jeans in US$ Million and Million Units....
During 2012 women’s outerwear observed the entrance of new competitors which included the arrival of big multinational companies such as The Gap Inc (whose products were previously only distributed th...
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Russia threatens ban on western apparel imports
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Opportunities and Applications for Digital Textile Printing
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details