US: Gap upbeat on Q4 as January comps climb
Gap's comparable store sales were up 1% in January
Speciality clothing retailer Gap Inc has reported a 1% rise in January comparable store sales, helped by growth at two of its three brands.
However, increases in comparable store sales of 1% at Gap and 4% at Old Navy were offset by a 10% drop at Banana Republic.
The San Francisco-based retailer also said net sales fell 20.4% to US$899m during the four weeks to 1 February, compared to $1.13bn in the same period of last year.
For the fourth quarter, net sales were down 3.2% to $4.58bn from $4.73bn in the prior year. Comparable store sales edged up 1%, marking the company's eighth consecutive quarter of positive comparable sales growth. Comparable store sales climbed 1% at Gap, were flat at Old Navy, but fell 3% at Banana Republic.
"We're pleased to deliver a strong finish to the year, with another month and quarter of comp sales growth," said chairman and CEO Glenn Murphy.
Gap expects fourth-quarter earnings per share to be in the range of $0.65 to $0.66, representing full-year earnings per share growth in the mid-to-high teens.
Levi Strauss & Co has settled an investigation through the US International Trade Commission (ITC) over patent infringement regarding certain laser abraded denim garments....
- Steps to piloting living wage in garment factories
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Myanmar garment industry "lacking labour rights"
- North Face parka features synthetic spider silk
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack