CAMBODIA: Garment and textile exports grow in Q1
Cambodia's garments and textiles exports grew 9% in the first quarter
Despite lapses in factory safety and ongoing labour unrest, Cambodian exports of garments and textiles grew 9% in the first three months of the year.
According to data from the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia (GMAC), Cambodia exported US$1.17bn worth of garments and textiles between January and March this year, compared to $1.08bn in the same period a year ago.
The country exported $287.1m worth of garments and textiles in January, followed by $440.8m in February and $445.7m in March.
During the first quarter, the US was the number one export market for Cambodian garments and textiles, reaching $461.6m.
Cambodia exported $400.2m worth of garments and textiles to the European Union, followed by $95.2m to Canada and $77.7m to Japan. Meanwhile, the country exported $138.9m worth of garments and textiles to other markets.
While Cambodia's garment industry has been the beneficiary of sourcing shifts from more expensive countries including China in recent years, it has also been shaken in recent months by lapses in factory safety and large-scale labour unrest.
Jeans giant Levi Strauss & Co last month confirmed to just-style it has reduced its sourcing from Cambodian garment factories in a bid to "minimise supply-chain risk and ensure delivery" amid ongoing unrest in the country.
Cambodian trade unions are calling for the government to increase the minimum wage for the country's 500,000 garment workers from US$100 to $160 per month.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Italian fashion giant Benetton has become the latest company to join a ban on angora wool, pledging to boycott the fibre from all its collections sold in around 6,000 stores worldwide....
Denim brand G-Star Raw has become the latest company pledging to eliminate the use of rayon and viscose fabrics derived from ancient and endangered forests in its clothes....
The most-read stories on just-style this week include at look at US apparel sales figures for May, just-style speaks with the chairman of sourcing specialist William E. Connor, and Levi joins forces w...
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar