THAILAND: Garment companies advised to target Indonesia
Thai garment companies should target Indonesia as the country with the brightest trade prospects among ASEAN nations, according to KResearch.
The company drew attention to Indonesia's economic growth, which it said had helped to raise disposable incomes and purchasing power for apparel, mirrored in steady growth of apparel sales in the past four to five years.
There had been a continuous increase in foreign direct investment into the country’s textile and garment industry, and a rapid urbanisation and strong demand for apparel.
In addition, Indonesian consumers had similar fashion tastes to those found in Thailand, KResearch said.
Thai garment exports to Indonesia were expected to reach US$8m this year, up 43% on 2011, the company added, thanks to economic growth and efforts by Thai garment exporters and retailer and shopping mall investors.
However, the company also drew attention to a number of challenges in the Indonesian market, among them competition from other foreign garment suppliers that had already located production bases in the country.
Exporters would also have to cope with frequent changes in regulations and stringent labour laws, the research business said, as well as the sometimes questionable skill level of Indonesian garment workers and a likely skilled labour shortage in the near future.
- SOURCING: Production problems weigh on Pakistan
- What next for smart fabrics and garments?
- Smart sportswear faces mass production challenges
- Frank Henke discusses Adidas sustainability agenda
- Lesotho risks garment job losses if AGOA lapses
- “Unsafe” Bangladesh factory refuses to evacuate
- Cambodia labour abuse claims disputed
- Major Ethiopia textile build experiences delays
- Garment factory tool to improve communication
- RFID adoption among retailers near “tipping point”
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019