THAILAND: Garment companies advised to target Indonesia
Thai garment companies should target Indonesia as the country with the brightest trade prospects among ASEAN nations, according to KResearch.
The company drew attention to Indonesia's economic growth, which it said had helped to raise disposable incomes and purchasing power for apparel, mirrored in steady growth of apparel sales in the past four to five years.
There had been a continuous increase in foreign direct investment into the country’s textile and garment industry, and a rapid urbanisation and strong demand for apparel.
In addition, Indonesian consumers had similar fashion tastes to those found in Thailand, KResearch said.
Thai garment exports to Indonesia were expected to reach US$8m this year, up 43% on 2011, the company added, thanks to economic growth and efforts by Thai garment exporters and retailer and shopping mall investors.
However, the company also drew attention to a number of challenges in the Indonesian market, among them competition from other foreign garment suppliers that had already located production bases in the country.
Exporters would also have to cope with frequent changes in regulations and stringent labour laws, the research business said, as well as the sometimes questionable skill level of Indonesian garment workers and a likely skilled labour shortage in the near future.
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change