THAILAND: Garment companies advised to target Indonesia
Thai garment companies should target Indonesia as the country with the brightest trade prospects among ASEAN nations, according to KResearch.
The company drew attention to Indonesia's economic growth, which it said had helped to raise disposable incomes and purchasing power for apparel, mirrored in steady growth of apparel sales in the past four to five years.
There had been a continuous increase in foreign direct investment into the country’s textile and garment industry, and a rapid urbanisation and strong demand for apparel.
In addition, Indonesian consumers had similar fashion tastes to those found in Thailand, KResearch said.
Thai garment exports to Indonesia were expected to reach US$8m this year, up 43% on 2011, the company added, thanks to economic growth and efforts by Thai garment exporters and retailer and shopping mall investors.
However, the company also drew attention to a number of challenges in the Indonesian market, among them competition from other foreign garment suppliers that had already located production bases in the country.
Exporters would also have to cope with frequent changes in regulations and stringent labour laws, the research business said, as well as the sometimes questionable skill level of Indonesian garment workers and a likely skilled labour shortage in the near future.
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap audits reveal compliance issues in Myanmar
- Water scarcity a challenge to cotton supply chains
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- ANALYSIS: Back-to-school spending a waiting game
- Adidas to use only Bluesign-approved chemicals
- Accord and Alliance discord "a setback"
- Scientists hail first recycled cotton garment
- 'Cotton of the Carolinas' grows reshoring efforts
- Myanmar and US to develop labour rights initiative
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report