BANGLADESH: Garment export rise is "morale-boosting"
Bangladesh's ready-made garment industry expects a 10-15% growth in exports for the current fiscal year ending June, despite factory safety issues and recent political instability.
The first eight months of the fiscal year fetched a "morale- boosting" 16.68% rise to US$16.13bn compared to last year's US$13.83bn, Mohammad Hatem, acting president of the Bangladesh Knitwear Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BKMEA), told just-style.
This shows "we are on the right path," Hatem said, adding they are "ready to leapfrog" industry rivals in this race.
In the eight months from July 2013, overseas sales of woven garments rose by 15.92% to US$8.22bn, as opposed to US$7.09bn in the last fiscal year, according to Export Promotion Bureau data. And knitwear exports grew faster than wovens at 17.5% to US$7.91bn during the same period compared to last year's US$6.732bn.
A key trend has been market diversification away from the EU and US to new markets such as Russia, Japan, South Africa, Malaysia, Australia, Brazil, Columbia, Chile and India.
And the industry wants annual knitwear exports to grow to US$23bn by 2020, up from the current US$11-12bn.
This growth in ready-made garment (RMG) sales is because of the "remarkable resilience" of Bangladeshi garment makers and international factory safety initiatives, added Hatem.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024