INDIA: Garment exports fall 6% in July
India's garment exports fell by more than 6% in July, according to the latest figures from the country's official body of apparel exporters.
AEPC data supplied to just-style shows exports tumbled 6.09% to US$879m, down from $936m in the same month last year.
Exports have taken a hit from the economic meltdown in the major export markets of Europe and the US, which has led to a substantial fall in orders.
In the four months from April to July, garment exports are down by an even higher 9.3% to $3.31bn, from $3.65bn in the same period last year.
According to AEPC estimates, shipments of Indian apparel to the US fell 7.7% in the first seven months of 2009, dropping in value to $1.83bn.
This compares with a rise of in imports from China and Bangladesh of 3.61% and 6.33% respectively.
India's clothing exports to the EU, meanwhile, rose 6.6% in euro terms to EUR2.02bn in the five months from January to May; but fell by 7.4% when calculated in dollar terms to $2.7bn.
During the same period the EU's total clothing imports fell 1.05% to EUR43.17bn, and imports from Bangladesh surged by 20.25% in Euro terms.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Wherever you look just now, it seems someone’s saying the recession’s nearly over. Investigate the evidence, though, and many pre-recession problems in the apparel industry are coming back. Falling pr...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- How PVH is paving the way for connected apparel
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- US Q3 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, HanesBrands
- Primark sourcing chief Gordon steps down
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report