PAKISTAN: Garment exports in double-digit FY drop
Pakistan's apparel exports fell by 12% in value terms to US$3.61bn during the fiscal year to the end of June, compared with US$4.08bn the year before.
Exports of woven ready-made garments plunged by 8% to US$1.6bn and knitted garments were down by 14% to US$1.9bn. The shipments dropped 23% in volume terms, reflecting a slump in garment output.
Ejaz Khokhar, chief coordinator and former chairman of the Pakistan Readymade Garments Manufacturers and Exporters Association (PRGMEA), told just-style that garment production has declined by 35-40% during the past year, mainly due to acute shortages of electricity and gas.
He urged the government to provide a 5% relief in taxes and levies to help revive output and offset the country's soaring inflation and rising cost of doing business.
A spokesperson for the All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA), also told just-style that buying houses are shifting to other countries and garment makers have to travel to Singapore or Dubai to meet the buyers.
According to a study conducted by the Pakistan Institute of Development Economics (PIDE), 67.5% of the country's textile firms face delays in orders, 70% have seen lower output, and the sector's overall loss from the breakdowns amounts to PKR819bn.
Energy accounts for around 35% of the operating cost in the textile industry. However, the sector is being supplied with gas for just five days a week and is also being hurt by power cuts that last 6 to 10 hours a day.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- C&A building brand loyalty through consistent fit
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Adidas has greenest textile supply chain in China
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Technical Textile Markets: Product Developments and Innovations - 2nd Quarter 2015