INDONESIA: Garment Factory Partnership With Papua NG
Trade and Industry Minister Luhut B Panjaitan said Indonesia is planning to set up a garment and textile factory in Papua New Guinea (PNG), Asia Pulse reported today. "It will be a concrete instance of trade cooperation between the two countries," he said during a visit at the weekend. Pandjaitan is in PNG, one of Indonesia's closest neighbours, as a member of vice president Megawati Soekarnoputri's retinue. He said an Indonesian textile enterprise in PNG would have excellent prospects because the country was still buying garments from other countries at comparatively high prices. "By having a textile industry within their own country, the PNG people will have access to less expensive garments," he said. Pandjaitan said he was optimistic that Indonesian businessmen would respond positively to the government's plan. The minister also signed a trade cooperation accord with his Papua New Guinean counterpart.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Four steps to reduce product defects
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- US Q4 in brief – PVH Corp, J Crew, Perry Ellis
- H&M, VF Corp and Levi among most ethical companies
- Vietnam limits hazardous chemicals in apparel
- Sears has "substantial doubt" of future
- PVH Corp to acquire e-commerce retailer True&Co
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective