INDONESIA: Garment Factory Partnership With Papua NG
Trade and Industry Minister Luhut B Panjaitan said Indonesia is planning to set up a garment and textile factory in Papua New Guinea (PNG), Asia Pulse reported today. "It will be a concrete instance of trade cooperation between the two countries," he said during a visit at the weekend. Pandjaitan is in PNG, one of Indonesia's closest neighbours, as a member of vice president Megawati Soekarnoputri's retinue. He said an Indonesian textile enterprise in PNG would have excellent prospects because the country was still buying garments from other countries at comparatively high prices. "By having a textile industry within their own country, the PNG people will have access to less expensive garments," he said. Pandjaitan said he was optimistic that Indonesian businessmen would respond positively to the government's plan. The minister also signed a trade cooperation accord with his Papua New Guinean counterpart.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- M&S clothing growth – What the analysts say
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Target leads funding for mobile quality inspection
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022