INDONESIA: Garment Factory Partnership With Papua NG
Trade and Industry Minister Luhut B Panjaitan said Indonesia is planning to set up a garment and textile factory in Papua New Guinea (PNG), Asia Pulse reported today. "It will be a concrete instance of trade cooperation between the two countries," he said during a visit at the weekend. Pandjaitan is in PNG, one of Indonesia's closest neighbours, as a member of vice president Megawati Soekarnoputri's retinue. He said an Indonesian textile enterprise in PNG would have excellent prospects because the country was still buying garments from other countries at comparatively high prices. "By having a textile industry within their own country, the PNG people will have access to less expensive garments," he said. Pandjaitan said he was optimistic that Indonesian businessmen would respond positively to the government's plan. The minister also signed a trade cooperation accord with his Papua New Guinean counterpart.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Lenzing unveils new sustainability strategy
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar