PHILIPPINES: Garment firm lays off 300 as orders slow
Hundreds of garment workers could lose their jobs later this week when the largest textile exporter in the southern Philippines halts production following a lack of orders from overseas buyers, local media reports said today (11 May).
The Mindanao Textile Corporation (Mintex) in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), says it will lay off around 300 workers on Friday.
This follows a further 1,300 redundancies the company made at the end of last year.
It reached its decision after no orders were placed for woven shirts in the months of May to August, the factory's manager told the ARMM's Department of Labor and Employment.
Mintex, whose main office is in Hong Kong, supplies garments to US apparel brands Gap, Timberland and Arrow.
Earlier orders will keep production running until June, but the company may be forced to shut down totally between July and September if no new orders materialise.
The Timberland Company is hoping its Earthkeepers range of recyclable shoes can help it climb towards consistent and sustainable top-line growth, after reporting broadly flat third quarter revenues th...
Today's retailers and brand owners work at a frantic pace, producing and selling more and more garments at ever-cheaper prices - even though it's a model that seems at odds with steps being taken by m...
Here is a roundup of the top five most-read stories on just-style. Click on each headline for the full story....
Strong sales in North America and in its footwear business, coupled with aggressive cost cutting, have helped The Timberland Company to a surprise 23% jump in third quarter profit - but the firm says ...
Hong Kong-based global consumer goods exporter Li & Fung Limited is to buy US fashion brand manager Wear Me Apparel, which does businesss as Kids Headquarters, for US$100m....
Outdoor footwear and apparel operator Timberland has reported a 27% decrease in greenhouse gas emissions since 2006, as part of its green commitments....
Timberland is teaming up with award-winning musician Wyclef Jean to produce an eco-friendly boot collection that will raise money to support reforestation in Haiti....
Outdoor wear retailer Timberland has announced that its CFO and vice president John Crimmins will leave the company on 30 September....
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020