GERMANY: Garment machinery sales set to fall 3% in 2012
German manufacturers of garment, leather technology and textile cleaning machinery are forecasting a 3% decline in sales in 2012, but are expecting a rise of 4% in 2013.
The Garment and Leather Technology Association (VDMA) reported a 23% drop in the number of orders during September, against the same period of last year. Between January and September, the figure was down 9%.
Sewing and garment machinery sales fell 33% between January and September, while machinery for the shoe and leather industry saw sales fall 29%. But sales of laundry and textile cleaning machinery grew 12%.
"2012 was a stable transitional year for the Garment and Leather Technology Association," said the trade association's chairman Tilo Ullmer, owner and managing shareholder of PMF and Fortuna Spezial Maschinen.
"For 2013 we are expecting an increase in turnover, particularly if global conditions improve. The unexpectedly clear outcome of the presidential election in the USA is already the first step in the right direction."
VDMA managing director Elgar Straub added: "A cautious increase in the number of orders and also in turnover can be predicted for 2013. But the global economic conditions have to stabilise or improve in order for this to happen."
However structural changes taking place in China and the shift of production closer to end consumer markets means that investment is on the agenda.
A shift in production to Eastern Europe for example, as well as the need for increasing flexibility and productivity are benefiting German technology suppliers.
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- Supply chains under pressure as Black Friday looms
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- Global clothing and footwear trade to drop by 1.5%
- Cambodia living wage campaign kicks off
- New Balance launches first 3D printed running shoe
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015