HAITI: Garment workers await minimum wage plan
Garment workers in Haiti are still awaiting confirmation on the date a new minimum wage will be implemented, just-style has been told.
A rise in the minimum wage had been due to come into effect from 1 January, but it seems both the amount and the timing are still to be confirmed.
A spokesperson from the Association of Industries of Haiti (ADIH) told just style: "The Christmas holidays put everything on hold. But we do hope the government will announce the amounts very soon."
At the end of last year, a number of garment factories in the country were forced to close following protests by workers demanding a higher minimum wage.
Haiti's Higher Council on Wages (CSS) proposed a rate of HTG225 (US$5.43) for an eight-hour day - an increase of 12.5% on the HTG200 a day, which has been in place since October 2012.
But apparel workers' unions have been demanding a minimum of HTG500 a day - more than twice the proposed rate.
Commenting on the likelihood of more unrest if the minimum wage amounts are not announced soon, the spokesperson added: "There are some people who will always resort to violence to get their way, unfortunately."
"But it is too early to tell how things will develop. The tensions of a few weeks ago were appeased thanks to the year-end holidays."
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019