HAITI: Garment workers await minimum wage plan
Garment workers in Haiti are still awaiting confirmation on the date a new minimum wage will be implemented, just-style has been told.
A rise in the minimum wage had been due to come into effect from 1 January, but it seems both the amount and the timing are still to be confirmed.
A spokesperson from the Association of Industries of Haiti (ADIH) told just style: "The Christmas holidays put everything on hold. But we do hope the government will announce the amounts very soon."
At the end of last year, a number of garment factories in the country were forced to close following protests by workers demanding a higher minimum wage.
Haiti's Higher Council on Wages (CSS) proposed a rate of HTG225 (US$5.43) for an eight-hour day - an increase of 12.5% on the HTG200 a day, which has been in place since October 2012.
But apparel workers' unions have been demanding a minimum of HTG500 a day - more than twice the proposed rate.
Commenting on the likelihood of more unrest if the minimum wage amounts are not announced soon, the spokesperson added: "There are some people who will always resort to violence to get their way, unfortunately."
"But it is too early to tell how things will develop. The tensions of a few weeks ago were appeased thanks to the year-end holidays."
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Trump’s China tariff a self-serving sound-bite
- US fashion firms share their sourcing strategies
- Bad sourcing blamed for pressure on retail margins
- Cost biggest barrier to Bangladesh RMG remediation
- Lies and statistics – the sustainability version
- Ten key trends in apparel and footwear markets
- Bangladesh firm comes top in World Textile Awards
- Columbia rain jacket a milestone in sustainability
- Primark continues US expansion with third store
- $360m logistics investment to benefit Bangladesh
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in Indonesia– Market Summary & Forecasts
- Clothing & Footwear Retailing in China – Market Summary & Forecasts
- Nike Inc in Apparel and Footwear (World)