HAITI: Garment workers await minimum wage plan
Garment workers in Haiti are still awaiting confirmation on the date a new minimum wage will be implemented, just-style has been told.
A rise in the minimum wage had been due to come into effect from 1 January, but it seems both the amount and the timing are still to be confirmed.
A spokesperson from the Association of Industries of Haiti (ADIH) told just style: "The Christmas holidays put everything on hold. But we do hope the government will announce the amounts very soon."
At the end of last year, a number of garment factories in the country were forced to close following protests by workers demanding a higher minimum wage.
Haiti's Higher Council on Wages (CSS) proposed a rate of HTG225 (US$5.43) for an eight-hour day - an increase of 12.5% on the HTG200 a day, which has been in place since October 2012.
But apparel workers' unions have been demanding a minimum of HTG500 a day - more than twice the proposed rate.
Commenting on the likelihood of more unrest if the minimum wage amounts are not announced soon, the spokesperson added: "There are some people who will always resort to violence to get their way, unfortunately."
"But it is too early to tell how things will develop. The tensions of a few weeks ago were appeased thanks to the year-end holidays."
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- TPP trade pact in milestone signing by 12 nations
- Cheap polyester contributes to cotton import shift
- Combating the new normal – 10 trends for 2016
- Under Armour defends questions over strategy
- US apparel retailers' January 2016 sales roundup
- Bangladesh factory fire renews worker safety fears
- China factory activity continues to deteriorate
- Southeast Asia – a strategic sourcing review
- H&M and Primark price rivalry reaches equilibrium
- PVH to take control of Tommy Hilfiger China unit
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2021
- Wearable Technology Market by Product, Application, Type, & Geography - Global Forecast to 2020
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024