HAITI: Garment workers await minimum wage plan
Garment workers in Haiti are still awaiting confirmation on the date a new minimum wage will be implemented, just-style has been told.
A rise in the minimum wage had been due to come into effect from 1 January, but it seems both the amount and the timing are still to be confirmed.
A spokesperson from the Association of Industries of Haiti (ADIH) told just style: "The Christmas holidays put everything on hold. But we do hope the government will announce the amounts very soon."
At the end of last year, a number of garment factories in the country were forced to close following protests by workers demanding a higher minimum wage.
Haiti's Higher Council on Wages (CSS) proposed a rate of HTG225 (US$5.43) for an eight-hour day - an increase of 12.5% on the HTG200 a day, which has been in place since October 2012.
But apparel workers' unions have been demanding a minimum of HTG500 a day - more than twice the proposed rate.
Commenting on the likelihood of more unrest if the minimum wage amounts are not announced soon, the spokesperson added: "There are some people who will always resort to violence to get their way, unfortunately."
"But it is too early to tell how things will develop. The tensions of a few weeks ago were appeased thanks to the year-end holidays."
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Sustainable fibres, finishes and processes at ITMA
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- PETA calls for wool boycott on “gruesome” exposé
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015