HAITI: Garment workers await minimum wage plan
Garment workers in Haiti are still awaiting confirmation on the date a new minimum wage will be implemented, just-style has been told.
A rise in the minimum wage had been due to come into effect from 1 January, but it seems both the amount and the timing are still to be confirmed.
A spokesperson from the Association of Industries of Haiti (ADIH) told just style: "The Christmas holidays put everything on hold. But we do hope the government will announce the amounts very soon."
At the end of last year, a number of garment factories in the country were forced to close following protests by workers demanding a higher minimum wage.
Haiti's Higher Council on Wages (CSS) proposed a rate of HTG225 (US$5.43) for an eight-hour day - an increase of 12.5% on the HTG200 a day, which has been in place since October 2012.
But apparel workers' unions have been demanding a minimum of HTG500 a day - more than twice the proposed rate.
Commenting on the likelihood of more unrest if the minimum wage amounts are not announced soon, the spokesperson added: "There are some people who will always resort to violence to get their way, unfortunately."
"But it is too early to tell how things will develop. The tensions of a few weeks ago were appeased thanks to the year-end holidays."
- Li & Fung looks to new frontiers for growth
- SOURCING: Worldwide change in cost competitiveness
- Gap impressed with supply chain improvements
- More licensing and less M&A for Global Brands
- Better Work programme poised to expand
- China minimum wage rises will be tough to handle
- Cambodia garment industry hit with fresh strikes
- Cambodia mass faintings rise to 896 in first-half
- Ralph Lauren unveils high-performance Polo shirt
- Cambodia garment makers condemn strike protests
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Knitting Mills - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- China - ISA Country Report