VIETNAM: Garmex Sets Sights On US With New Garment Factory
Authorities have approved in principle a project by Garmex to build its fifth export garment factory in HCMC 's Hoc Mon District, the Saigon Times Daily reported yesterday. Work on the factory is scheduled to start early next month to ensure that it can be completed by March next year, a company source said, adding that it will produce four million garments per annum to begin with. "The operation of the new factory will enable us to raise exports to Chile and the US," the official said. Garmex Saigon, which is based in Ho Chi Minh City, has set a target of achieving VND50bn turnover this year.He said that the company now exports 97 per cent of its output, with 65 per cent of this for Japan, 15 per cent for Europe and the remainder for Taiwan, Australia, Chile and Singapore. An official at the HCMC Service of Planning and Investment said the factory would cover 1.5 hectares (16,000 sq m) in the Hoc Mon District and have an invested capital of VNMD33.4bn ($2.4m, £1.6m), VND26.7bn ($1.9m, £1.3m) of which is from the city economic stimulus programme.Garmex already runs four factories and employs around 2,000 workers. Its customers include Nike, Umbro, Ellesse and CK Khakis and it is well established in the Japanese non-quota market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective