PAKISTAN: Gas supplies restored to the textile industry
Pakistan's government is to restore gas supplies to the textile industry in the province of Punjab after a one-month hiatus.
According to a notification issued by the Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited (SNGPL), from the beginning of this week gas will be supplied to the textile industry for two days a week on a rotation basis.
Authorities disconnected the gas supply to the region's textile industry just before Christmas, resulting in widespread protests and rallies by factory owners and workers. The All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (APTMA) later vowed to defy the government's gas cut policy.
Gohar Ejaz, former chairman of APTMA, says that over 70% of the textile and clothing industry is located in Punjab province and over 10m people depend on it for work. The prolonged gas suspension has badly affected the sector's daily-wage workers, he adds.
APTMA's Punjab region chairman Ahsan Bashir claims the industry has already lost US$2bn in exports during the first half of the current fiscal year and it is likely to suffer more if energy supplies to the industry are not improved.
The government, meanwhile, says the industries will receive gas for three days a week once the cold weather in the northern part of the country ends next month.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Why Inditex is "clear winner" in fast fashion
- Brexit blow to global apparel industry confidence
- Under Armour makes lifestyle push with new brand
- Sir Philip Green blamed for the collapse of BHS
- North Face has holistic view on harmful chemicals
- Vietnam mulls wage freeze to boost competitiveness
- US Q2 in brief - Columbia Sportswear, Rocky Brands
- Ananta Group hits back at Bangladesh union claims
- Teijin launches polyester hook-and-loop fastener
- Transparency index to expand to 100 brands
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Primark Stores Limited: Retailing - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: the EU - June 2016
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020