US: Genesco posts 39% Q1 profit jump as sales rise
- Q1 net profit up 39.3% to $20.6m
- Net sales jump 25% to $600m
- Raises guidance to $4.70 to $4.82
Apparel group Genesco yesterday (23 May) reported a 39.3% jump in first-quarter net profits, boosted by higher sales in its Lids, Journeys and Johnston & Murphy retail divisions.
For the quarter ended 28 April, the company posted net profit of US$20.6m, compared to $14.8m the same period last year. Earnings from operations increased 41.1% to $36m.
Comparable store sales rose 9%. The Lids Sports Group's same-store sales increased by 4%, the Journeys Group was up by 12% and Johnston & Murphy Retail rose by 4%.
"Our first quarter results reflect the continuation of the positive sales trends that have characterised our business for the past several quarters," said Robert Dennis, chairman, president and CEO.
"The combination of favourable fashion trends, excellent execution, and the strong strategic positions of our businesses has helped us maintain momentum even in the face of tougher comparisons. The strength in sales once again drove improved expense leverage and profitability above expectations."
Genesco is raising its full-year earnings guidance to be in the range of $4.70 to $4.82, compared to previous guidance of $4.58 to $4.70.
"We remain optimistic about the company's prospects and are pleased with our progress toward our near-term and long-term goals," Dennis added.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
Underwear company Jockey has named Bryan Norfleet as president and chief operating officer. ...
Cap and footwear retailer Genesco has raised its full-year outlook after swinging to a second-quarter profit helped by a sales boost from UK-based retailer Schuh, which it acquired last year....
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar