ITALY: Geox Q1 profit more than halves
- Q1 profit more than halved to EUR19m
- Sales fell 20.4% to EUR262.5m
- Company expects H1 sales to decline 10%
Italian footwear business Geox has seen its first-quarter profit more than halve after tough economic conditions in Europe dampened demand for its products.
Net income reached EUR19m (US$24.5m) for the quarter to 31 March, compared to EUR41.5m in the same period last year. Sales tumbled 20.4% to EUR262.5m from EUR330m last year, with declines in all categories and markets.
The first quarter was affected by "the difficult macroeconomic situation of Mediterranean countries and in particular in Italy and Spain," noted chairman and founder Mario Moretti Polegato.
"However, despite the uncertainty of the timing of the consumption recovery in Europe, we are confident that our strategy focused on investments in new products and on the gradual shift of our commercial activities towards emerging markets such as Asia Pacific and Russia, where our expansion is in rapid and positive evolution, represents the base for future development of the group and the relaunch of its growth."
Looking forward, the company expects the uncertain economy to continue to weigh on turnover, and forecasts a decline of around 10% in first-half sales.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- Gap unveils five-year sustainable fibres pledge
- Adidas and Reebok top transparency index
- US textile industry applauds Trump executive order
- Pentland Brands reveals Berghaus factory list
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report