GERMANY: Gerber Launches Web-Based PD Tool
Leading integrated computer hardware and software provider Gerber Technology announced last week the launch of a new e-business solution. The company has invested $20m in WebPDM spec and WebPDM B2B, which are based on the existing WebPDM v3.8, and will continue to provide a further $5m a year, said Marc Jaspers, managing director Europe at Gerber Technology's Information System Division. The new products have been designed to manage the time-consuming and costly product development process for the apparel industry.Gerber said that 27 companies, which were based in Europe, the USA, and Asia, and were split equally between the manufacturing and retail sectors, were quizzed on their product development needs. The companies' responses dictated the development of the final versions of the WebPDM products.Product development, a process that has been managed in the electronic, automotive, and pharmaceutical industries for some years, is still not managed by the apparel industry, Jaspers claimed. Speaking at a press conference held in Germany last week, he added that it was time the apparel sector caught up with other businesses: "Product development is still considered an art, but - although creativity is important - this is a business procedure like all the others in the company."At the moment, anywhere from four to eight departments get involved in product development: collection designers, marketing, the costing estimation department, quality, buyers, raw materials, sample makers, sales staff, the e-commerce division and all the offshore manufacturers that produce the garments. Although all those departments are necessary to develop the style, often nobody in the whole organisation is managing the process."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Why collaboration is key to fashion supply chains
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- Industry groups reaffirm commitment to Bangladesh
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Adidas to digitalise Speedfactory concept
- M&S extends sourcing deal with Lindsey brothers
- Nike filed patent for "reinforced denim"
- US Q1 in brief – Columbia Sportswear, Amazon
- Brandix rolls out Tukatech systems
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar