US: Gerber Technology launches new Taurus II leather cutter
The new Taurus II leather cutting system from Gerber Technology delivers an improvement in hide yield of up to 10% compared to manual or die cutting, the company claims.
The system also boasts automatic nesting capabilities that are said to be 250 times more powerful than previous offerings and give more consistent results than manual results that depend on an individual's ability to visually analyse the shape of a hide and determine the most efficient placement of dies or templates.
Embedded in a digital camera mounted above the cutting table is Gerber's RapidScan software technology, which captures hides of all colours in seconds. To mark flaws, inspectors use a single colour marker to draw symbols on hides that identify up to four flaw zones. Multiple coloured tape or markers are not necessary.
Comprehensive data also enables managers to track work in progress and identify opportunities to improve processes.
Taurus II digitally records the details of every hide, including usable area and defect area. Users can also compare these figures with those stamped on the back of hides and use the data to help negotiate more effectively with hide suppliers.
Sports apparel maker Fila USA, a subsidiary of Fila Korea Ltd, has implemented a Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) tool to manage its footwear development process....
Bosco Sport, Russia's premier sportswear company and official clothing supplier of the Russian, Spanish, Serbian and Ukrainian Olympic teams, has used YuniquePLM to help outfit hundreds of athletes an...
- PSF 2014: No one size fits all in apparel sourcing
- PSF 2014: Shifting focus from cost to consumer
- Garment manufacturers eye Myanmar outsourcing
- Bangladesh industry development moving backwards
- Teen retail being rocked by fast fashion headwinds
- Adidas China supplier in discussions over strike
- Gap issues mirror widespread industry challenges
- Bangladesh PM asks clothing buyers to pay more
- H&M "pushing the process" on sustainable fashion
- Adidas plans mobile phone hotline at all suppliers
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Antimicrobial fibres, fabrics and apparel: innovative weapons against infection
- Trade and trade policy: clothing imports, consumer expenditure and trends in five emerging markets: Brazil, Colombia, India, Kazakhstan and Peru, 4th quarter 2013
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects
- Jeans in Italy