DENMARK: German Clothing Chain Has Big Expansion Plans
The successful German discount clothing chain KiK intends to open 100 to 150 new shops in Denmark by 2002. The company has plans to launch in Sweden and Spain too, in the near future.KiK is an abbreviation of the chain's slogan "Kunde ist König" (The Customer is King). The chain has shown massive growth in Germany and Austria with over 900 shops in six years. German retailer Tengelmann is major shareholder in the chain. The group's turnover last year was DEM51.6m.The chain's concept is to sell menswear (Consul), womenswear (Vicky) and childrenswear, underwear, and hosiery at permanently low prices, and to offer a selection of toys, furnishing textiles and linens, towels, cosmetic and gifts. As a special service, it offers customers a money back guarantee for up to four weeks after purchase. The first Danish shop, 800 sq ms, opens in Herning (Jutland) tomorrow and on Thursday in Lynge in Northern Sealand. In November, shops will open in Åbybro and Svendborg. Plans are to have 15 shops in Denmark before the end of the year. The shops are located in provincial towns with other cut-price supermarket grocery chains nearby, appealing to the same market segment.The Danish market will be used a launching pad for Sweden. The Spanish market will be a target too, at the same time as Sweden. Norway is on the list, but there are no finalised plans there yet.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- Trade Tracker – Trump's first weeks, Brexit agenda
- Key trade issues facing US textiles and apparel
- Does a hard Brexit mean hard times for UK fashion?
- Bangladesh "high threat" for terrorist activity
- VF Corp sees Q4 and FY earnings tumble
- Sales at US clothing retailers jumped in January
- Ralph Lauren new execs to support Way Forward Plan
- US Q4 in brief – VF Corp, Kate Spade, Rocky Brands
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar