CANADA: Gildan Acquires Second Canadian Yarn Plant
Gildan will initially lease the property and has an option to buy it for $6.25 million.
In June 2001 Gildan bought the Cavalier Specialty Yarn operation, and together with this latest acquisition the company can now meet almost all the cotton and polyester yarn requirements for its Canadian textile operations from company-owned sites.
An existing long-term yarn supply contract with Frontier Spinning Mills Inc will be diverted to meet the requirements of Gildan's new greenfield textile manufacturing facility being set up in Rio Nance, Honduras.
The company says the acquisition of the Fidelity assets should yield initial annual after-tax cost savings of at least $5.0 million after interest and depreciation, or in excess of $0.15 per share on a diluted basis, starting in fiscal 2003.
The assets acquired include specialised air-jet technology for the manufacture of polyester yarn, in addition to cotton yarn, so that this acquisition will enhance Gildan's recent introduction of its 50/50 cotton/polyester fleece product line.
H Greg Chamandy, chairman and chief executive officer of Gildan Activewear, said that "the acquisition of these yarn-spinning assets further reinforces our focus on being a vertically-integrated manufacturing company, in order to continuously drive down our cost structure and further reinforce our position as low-cost producer in our industry."
He added that "approximately 120 jobs will be created as a result of this investment."
Gildan Activewear manufactures and sells premium quality T-shirts, placket collar golf shirts and sweatshirts.
Companies: Gildan Activewear Inc
T-shirt maker Gildan Activewear Inc yesterday (1 February) revealed a first-quarter profit of US$16.2m - nearly twice as much as year-earlier earnings of $8.4m....
T-shirt maker Gildan Activewear has reported an increased fourth-quarter profit on higher sales and a drop in raw material costs....
T-shirt maker Gildan Activewear is to launch its own branded clothing line next year, the Montreal company's president said yesterday....
T-shirt manufacturer Gildan Activewear Inc, which has reported static second-quarter profit, has decided to postpone plans to set up a large-scale textile plant in Nicaragua to focus on its current op...
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- M&S "unappealing" clothing a barrier to growth
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Bangladesh tops China as lead cotton importer
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020