US: Gildan Activewear plans new $200m US yarn plants
Apparel maker Gildan Activewear Inc is planning to invest more than US$200m in two new vertical yarn-spinning facilities in the US to support its projected sales growth.
The Montreal, Canada based company, which manufactures T-shirts, socks, underwear and sportswear, today (23 September) said it is currently evaluating potential sites in the southern US. The construction and ramp-up of the new facilities is expected to take place during fiscal 2014 and 2015.
The facilities will be built with the most modern technology, which Gildan expects will continue to differentiate the product quality of its own-branded products.
This investment comes on top of a new ring-spun yarn manufacturing facility being constructed in Salisbury, North Carolina.
The company is also refurbishing and modernising its open-end facilities in Clarkton, North Carolina and Cedartown, Georgia, both of which are due to be finished by mid-year 2014.
Not only does it expect the total investment in its US yarn-spinning facilities, including the two new facilities, to create over 700 jobs. But it will also help strengthen the domestic US component of its vertically-integrated manufacturing.
Speaking to analysts last month, Glenn Chamandy, Gildan's founder, president and CEO hinted at the company's plans for a "major textile facility", indicating that it would be "the biggest, largest low-cost facility in our arsenal at that time, by the time we get it up and running."
The company is adding "significant capacities" to support new programmes covering underwear, socks and activewear.
As reported on just-style last week, it has also inaugurated its second sewing facility in the Dominican Republic, at the Las Americas Industrial Free Zone Park, where it will produce basic T-shirts intended for the North American market.
Gildan most recently booked a 47.3% jump in third-quarter profit to $115.8m, helped by a 2.3% rise in sales to $614.3m - but said sales would have been even higher had it not been for production capacity constraints.
A surge in foreign direct investment in the US textile industry over the past eight months is being attributed to a strong yarn-forward rule - according to campaigners who want to see the provision co...
Gildan’s strategy focuses on production downtime to better align inventory levels with projected sales and improve supply chain efficiency. The company is also seeking to further increase its presence...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The prof...
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; international trade policy...
UK apparel wholesaler PAG Leisurewear is adopting NetSuite SuiteCommerce software to help grow its omni-channel business....
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- US apparel retailers' August 2014 sales roundup
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details