CANADA: Gildan Activewear Q2 down on higher cotton costs
- Q2 net earnings down to US$26.9m
- Gross margin slumps 17.8%
- Sales up 25.9% to $482.6m
Gildan Activewear today (3 May) reported a drop in second-quarter net earnings on the back of higher cotton costs.
Net earnings fell to US$26.9m, or US$0.22 per share on a diluted basis over the quarter ended 1 April from $61.7m, or $0.50 per share in the same period of the prior year.
Gildan Activewear attributed the decline to significantly higher cotton costs, which negatively impacted EPS in the second quarter by close to $0.70 compared to the second quarter of last year.
Gross margin fell to 17.8% against 28.4% in the prior year period.
Sales rose 25.9% to $482.6m, with sales in the printwear segment rising 11.5% to $350.9m and branded apparel sales increasing 104.2% to $121.6m.
The company also today announced the acquisition of sports shirt supplier Anvil for about $88m.
Gildan Activewear has launched an internal inquiry into the events surrounding a lawsuit filed against it by Russell Brands, part of Fruit of the Loom....
- Impact of the TPP on the US textile industry?
- JC Penney emphasises new merchandising strategy
- Crystal Group nurtures its caring culture
- Cambodia's future outsourcing prospects uncertain
- Hazardous chemical removal a key industry issue
- Vietnam proposes 15% rise to regional minimum wage
- Cambodia garment workers “dying on the job”
- Avery Dennison forms JV with Ningbo Shenzhou
- Nike appointments to drive growth opportunities
- Critical findings identified at Bangladesh complex
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Prospects for the Textile and Clothing Industry in Turkey