CANADA: Gildan Activewear Q3 profit down
- Q3 net earnings down 10.8% to $78.6m
- Net sales increased 13.3%
T-shirt and sock maker Gildan Activewear saw third-quarter net profits slump as lower prices of printwear and manufacturing costs hurt the company.
Net earnings for the third quarter declined 10.8% to US$78.6m, as printwear prices fell and it wound down the Rio Nance I facility, which is currently being modernised and refurbished.
Manufacturing costs also include a non-cash charge of $0.03 per share to write off obsolete manufacturing equipment at the company's Rio Nance I facility.
Gross margins fell to 23.9% compared to 27.9% last year, while operating income edged down 0.5% to $82.6m.
Net sales increased 13.3% to $600.2m. Branded apparel sales increased 19.7% to $150.9m, while sales of printwear were up 11.3% to $449.3m.
Meanwhile, for the nine months to the end of July, net earnings plummeted 68% to $59.4m, while operating income slumped 62% to $68.4m.
Net sales increased 11.5% to $1.39bn on the back of the acquisitions of Gold Toe Moretz and Anvil, as well as higher selling prices for branded apparel, offset by lower selling prices of printwear during the third quarter.
Apparel company Gildan Activewear is set to open a new ring-spinning plant in Salisbury, Rowan County, through its CanAm Yarns subsidiary, as it continues to expand its presence in the US....
Gildan Activewear recorded a jump in fourth quarter net earnings as the group benefited from lower cotton costs, higher printwear unit sales volumes, more favourable product-mix and higher selling pri...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- China and ASEAN upgrade FTA
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015