CANADA: Gildan Activewear Q3 profit down
- Q3 net earnings down 10.8% to $78.6m
- Net sales increased 13.3%
T-shirt and sock maker Gildan Activewear saw third-quarter net profits slump as lower prices of printwear and manufacturing costs hurt the company.
Net earnings for the third quarter declined 10.8% to US$78.6m, as printwear prices fell and it wound down the Rio Nance I facility, which is currently being modernised and refurbished.
Manufacturing costs also include a non-cash charge of $0.03 per share to write off obsolete manufacturing equipment at the company's Rio Nance I facility.
Gross margins fell to 23.9% compared to 27.9% last year, while operating income edged down 0.5% to $82.6m.
Net sales increased 13.3% to $600.2m. Branded apparel sales increased 19.7% to $150.9m, while sales of printwear were up 11.3% to $449.3m.
Meanwhile, for the nine months to the end of July, net earnings plummeted 68% to $59.4m, while operating income slumped 62% to $68.4m.
Net sales increased 11.5% to $1.39bn on the back of the acquisitions of Gold Toe Moretz and Anvil, as well as higher selling prices for branded apparel, offset by lower selling prices of printwear during the third quarter.
Apparel company Gildan Activewear is set to open a new ring-spinning plant in Salisbury, Rowan County, through its CanAm Yarns subsidiary, as it continues to expand its presence in the US....
Gildan Activewear recorded a jump in fourth quarter net earnings as the group benefited from lower cotton costs, higher printwear unit sales volumes, more favourable product-mix and higher selling pri...
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- South Africa to grow grass for recyclable textiles
- Activewear driving US apparel spend
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Sri Lanka and Bangladesh FTA talks underway
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019