CANADA: Gildan Activewear Q3 profit down
- Q3 net earnings down 10.8% to $78.6m
- Net sales increased 13.3%
T-shirt and sock maker Gildan Activewear saw third-quarter net profits slump as lower prices of printwear and manufacturing costs hurt the company.
Net earnings for the third quarter declined 10.8% to US$78.6m, as printwear prices fell and it wound down the Rio Nance I facility, which is currently being modernised and refurbished.
Manufacturing costs also include a non-cash charge of $0.03 per share to write off obsolete manufacturing equipment at the company's Rio Nance I facility.
Gross margins fell to 23.9% compared to 27.9% last year, while operating income edged down 0.5% to $82.6m.
Net sales increased 13.3% to $600.2m. Branded apparel sales increased 19.7% to $150.9m, while sales of printwear were up 11.3% to $449.3m.
Meanwhile, for the nine months to the end of July, net earnings plummeted 68% to $59.4m, while operating income slumped 62% to $68.4m.
Net sales increased 11.5% to $1.39bn on the back of the acquisitions of Gold Toe Moretz and Anvil, as well as higher selling prices for branded apparel, offset by lower selling prices of printwear during the third quarter.
Apparel company Gildan Activewear is set to open a new ring-spinning plant in Salisbury, Rowan County, through its CanAm Yarns subsidiary, as it continues to expand its presence in the US....
Gildan Activewear recorded a jump in fourth quarter net earnings as the group benefited from lower cotton costs, higher printwear unit sales volumes, more favourable product-mix and higher selling pri...
- Levi Strauss raises the bar on sustainability
- Nike reaffirms US production commitment
- Gap and H&M back Myanmar path to labour reform
- H&M faces margin pressure on dollar impact
- Can the Gap brand reclaim its iconic status?
- Myanmar minimum wage set at US$3.2 per day
- Far Eastern to invest $323m in Vietnam textile hub
- Fast Retailing supplier continues strike talks
- China cotton stockpile auction may shake up market
- Under Armour unveils newest retail presence
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- World Textile and Apparel Trade and Production Trends: The EU - May 2015
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015