CANADA/US: Gildan Activewear, Russell Brands settle lawsuit
The lawsuit, which was filed in the US District Court for the Western District of Kentucky in October, relates to the relabelling and resale of products under Russell Brands' Jerzees label.
When Gildan Activewear took on a contract to supply men's and boy's fleeces to a retailer, which was previously supplied by Russell Brands under the Jerzees label, it had to acquire a certain amount of inventory.
However, some of the Jerzees merchandise the company had purchased was shipped back to retail customers under the Gildan label.
"As soon as we found out that this happened, we took immediate steps to correct the situation by retrieving all of the product, which had been shipped to the retailer," a spokesperson for the company told just-style yesterday (4 March).
"In addition to taking immediate action to take the inventory back, we have also taken necessary steps to strengthen our internal control in order to ensure that such an event does not reoccur."
Gildan Activewear offered a $1m settlement "to put this matter behind us" and it was excepted by Russell Brands, the spokesperson added, but emphasised there was no admission of liability by Gildan.
Lower cotton costs, higher unit sales volumes, a more favourable branded product-mix, and increased supply chain and manufacturing efficiencies helped T-shirt and sock maker Gildan Activewear to a 47....
Canadian manufacturer Gildan Activewear is to acquire the assets of apparel printing firm New Buffalo Shirt Factory and its operating affiliate in Honduras for US$7m....
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- Five ways to tackle market and demand volatility
- Freeing up working capital in the supply chain
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Uniqlo under fire again for China worker abuses
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Fast Retailing in deal for laser treated garments
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015