CANADA/US: Gildan Activewear, Russell Brands settle lawsuit
The lawsuit, which was filed in the US District Court for the Western District of Kentucky in October, relates to the relabelling and resale of products under Russell Brands' Jerzees label.
When Gildan Activewear took on a contract to supply men's and boy's fleeces to a retailer, which was previously supplied by Russell Brands under the Jerzees label, it had to acquire a certain amount of inventory.
However, some of the Jerzees merchandise the company had purchased was shipped back to retail customers under the Gildan label.
"As soon as we found out that this happened, we took immediate steps to correct the situation by retrieving all of the product, which had been shipped to the retailer," a spokesperson for the company told just-style yesterday (4 March).
"In addition to taking immediate action to take the inventory back, we have also taken necessary steps to strengthen our internal control in order to ensure that such an event does not reoccur."
Gildan Activewear offered a $1m settlement "to put this matter behind us" and it was excepted by Russell Brands, the spokesperson added, but emphasised there was no admission of liability by Gildan.
Gildan’s strategy focuses on production downtime to better align inventory levels with projected sales and improve supply chain efficiency. The company is also seeking to further increase its presence...
Lower cotton costs, higher unit sales volumes, a more favourable branded product-mix, and increased supply chain and manufacturing efficiencies helped T-shirt and sock maker Gildan Activewear to a 47....
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company rebranding; company restructuring; corporate social responsibility (CSR); fi...
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- New Gap CEO set to tackle “aesthetic issue”
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- Falling euro adds to Bangladesh production woes
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- M&S Asia head quits as China stores to close
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- US labour concerns at Honduras apparel makers
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019