CANADA/US: Gildan Activewear, Russell Brands settle lawsuit
The lawsuit, which was filed in the US District Court for the Western District of Kentucky in October, relates to the relabelling and resale of products under Russell Brands' Jerzees label.
When Gildan Activewear took on a contract to supply men's and boy's fleeces to a retailer, which was previously supplied by Russell Brands under the Jerzees label, it had to acquire a certain amount of inventory.
However, some of the Jerzees merchandise the company had purchased was shipped back to retail customers under the Gildan label.
"As soon as we found out that this happened, we took immediate steps to correct the situation by retrieving all of the product, which had been shipped to the retailer," a spokesperson for the company told just-style yesterday (4 March).
"In addition to taking immediate action to take the inventory back, we have also taken necessary steps to strengthen our internal control in order to ensure that such an event does not reoccur."
Gildan Activewear offered a $1m settlement "to put this matter behind us" and it was excepted by Russell Brands, the spokesperson added, but emphasised there was no admission of liability by Gildan.
Gildan’s strategy focuses on production downtime to better align inventory levels with projected sales and improve supply chain efficiency. The company is also seeking to further increase its presence...
Lower cotton costs, higher unit sales volumes, a more favourable branded product-mix, and increased supply chain and manufacturing efficiencies helped T-shirt and sock maker Gildan Activewear to a 47....
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company rebranding; company restructuring; corporate social responsibility (CSR); fi...
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- Apparel industry gains traction says IAF chief
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead