US: Gildan Activewear sued by Russell Brands
The allegations, including trademark infringement and unfair competition, stem from Gildan winning a supply contract for men’s and boys’ fleeces to a US retail customer.
The contract, previously held by Russell Brands for its Jerzees label, has now passed to the Gildan Smart Basics brand.
However, as part of the terms of obtaining the contract, Gildan said it was obliged to buy a “small amount” of Jerzees inventory from the retailer – some of which was rebranded as Gildan and shipped back to the customer.
“Gildan took immediate steps to correct the situation by seeking to retrieve all of the Jerzees product which had been shipped to the retailer from the customer’s retail outlets and distribution centres,” the company said.
“Gildan is confident that the amount of Jerzees product under dispute is negligible, and estimates that approximately US$100,000 of disputed Jerzees products have been sold to consumers.”
Gildan said it was now conducting an internal review into the matter, which it said it was “treating seriously”.
Gildan Activewear is considering ramping up the production of performance wear at a factory it acquired in May last year. ...
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company strategies; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; intern...
Canadian apparel maker Gildan Activewear has reached a US$1m settlement with Russell Brands, a Fruit of the Loom company, to resolve a trademark infringement lawsuit....
Apparel business Gildan Activewear returned to profitability in its first quarter of fiscal 2013, boosted by lower discounting and its recent Anvil acquisition....
- Improved supplier capabilities benefit Next
- China and Vietnam lead US apparel imports in July
- THE FLANARANT: Understand win-win or lose out
- Next H1: What the analysts say
- Abercrombie & Fitch to lose logos in fashion focus
- Hanesbrands axes Costa Rican jobs in Vietnam move
- Brandix selects first "game-changing" innovations
- Apparel fuels global manufacturing downturn
- Bagir to invest in Ethiopia as H1 loss deepens
- VF taps Nike exec to lead innovation centres
- Wool in the 21st Century: new prospects for a familiar fibre
- Apparel Market in China to 2018 - Market Size, Trends, and Forecasts
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Cut and Sew Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details