US: Gildan Activewear sued by Russell Brands
The allegations, including trademark infringement and unfair competition, stem from Gildan winning a supply contract for men’s and boys’ fleeces to a US retail customer.
The contract, previously held by Russell Brands for its Jerzees label, has now passed to the Gildan Smart Basics brand.
However, as part of the terms of obtaining the contract, Gildan said it was obliged to buy a “small amount” of Jerzees inventory from the retailer – some of which was rebranded as Gildan and shipped back to the customer.
“Gildan took immediate steps to correct the situation by seeking to retrieve all of the Jerzees product which had been shipped to the retailer from the customer’s retail outlets and distribution centres,” the company said.
“Gildan is confident that the amount of Jerzees product under dispute is negligible, and estimates that approximately US$100,000 of disputed Jerzees products have been sold to consumers.”
Gildan said it was now conducting an internal review into the matter, which it said it was “treating seriously”.
Gildan Activewear is considering ramping up the production of performance wear at a factory it acquired in May last year. ...
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company strategies; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; intern...
Canadian apparel maker Gildan Activewear has reached a US$1m settlement with Russell Brands, a Fruit of the Loom company, to resolve a trademark infringement lawsuit....
Apparel business Gildan Activewear returned to profitability in its first quarter of fiscal 2013, boosted by lower discounting and its recent Anvil acquisition....
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- George at Asda on responsible retail journey
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Outlook 2015: Challenges and opportunities
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Adidas sells Rockport for $280m to focus on sports
- Adidas and Timberland commit to responsible down
- Italian wages and conditions deteriorate
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead
- E-Textiles: Electronic Textiles 2014-2024