US: Gildan Activewear sued by Russell Brands
The allegations, including trademark infringement and unfair competition, stem from Gildan winning a supply contract for men’s and boys’ fleeces to a US retail customer.
The contract, previously held by Russell Brands for its Jerzees label, has now passed to the Gildan Smart Basics brand.
However, as part of the terms of obtaining the contract, Gildan said it was obliged to buy a “small amount” of Jerzees inventory from the retailer – some of which was rebranded as Gildan and shipped back to the customer.
“Gildan took immediate steps to correct the situation by seeking to retrieve all of the Jerzees product which had been shipped to the retailer from the customer’s retail outlets and distribution centres,” the company said.
“Gildan is confident that the amount of Jerzees product under dispute is negligible, and estimates that approximately US$100,000 of disputed Jerzees products have been sold to consumers.”
Gildan said it was now conducting an internal review into the matter, which it said it was “treating seriously”.
Gildan Activewear is considering ramping up the production of performance wear at a factory it acquired in May last year. ...
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company strategies; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; intern...
Canadian apparel maker Gildan Activewear has reached a US$1m settlement with Russell Brands, a Fruit of the Loom company, to resolve a trademark infringement lawsuit....
Apparel business Gildan Activewear returned to profitability in its first quarter of fiscal 2013, boosted by lower discounting and its recent Anvil acquisition....
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Change management key to PLM project success
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change