US: Gildan Activewear sued by Russell Brands
The allegations, including trademark infringement and unfair competition, stem from Gildan winning a supply contract for men’s and boys’ fleeces to a US retail customer.
The contract, previously held by Russell Brands for its Jerzees label, has now passed to the Gildan Smart Basics brand.
However, as part of the terms of obtaining the contract, Gildan said it was obliged to buy a “small amount” of Jerzees inventory from the retailer – some of which was rebranded as Gildan and shipped back to the customer.
“Gildan took immediate steps to correct the situation by seeking to retrieve all of the Jerzees product which had been shipped to the retailer from the customer’s retail outlets and distribution centres,” the company said.
“Gildan is confident that the amount of Jerzees product under dispute is negligible, and estimates that approximately US$100,000 of disputed Jerzees products have been sold to consumers.”
Gildan said it was now conducting an internal review into the matter, which it said it was “treating seriously”.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Gildan Activewear is considering ramping up the production of performance wear at a factory it acquired in May last year. ...
Canadian apparel maker Gildan Activewear has reached a US$1m settlement with Russell Brands, a Fruit of the Loom company, to resolve a trademark infringement lawsuit....
Apparel business Gildan Activewear returned to profitability in its first quarter of fiscal 2013, boosted by lower discounting and its recent Anvil acquisition....
Garment workers from Honduras and Haiti are taking part in a five-city tour across New York State this week as part of an ongoing campaign against sweatshops....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019