CANADA: Gildan Posts 21.6% Q1 Earnings Slump
The Montreal-based firm, founded by brothers Greg and Glenn Chamandy, reported net earnings of US$2.9 million for the period, a 21.6 per cent year-on-year slump.
The company cited the accounting impact of its switch to using the US dollar as its reporting currency for the fall in earnings.
However, first quarter sales rose 20 per cent to US$78m, compared to $65m in the same period a year earlier.
The sales increase was attributed to a 21.9 per cent increase in unit shipments and a higher-valued product mix, partially offset by lower selling prices.
To coincide with the first quarter results announcement, the Chamandy brothers said they wanted to convert their class B multiple voting shares into class A subordinate voting shares, reducing their stake in the company from 61 per cent to 24 per cent.
The decision, still to be approved by Gildan's board, means that the brothers would not be able to block any takeover bid that other shareholders approve.
"We believe that this is a logical and appropriate initiative for the company at this point in its corporate development," Greg Chamandy said, adding that neither brother would receive any compensation for the share conversion.
"We believe that this initiative is consistent with our commitment to strong corporate governance."
Companies: Gildan Activewear Inc
T-shirt maker Gildan Activewear Inc yesterday (1 February) revealed a first-quarter profit of US$16.2m - nearly twice as much as year-earlier earnings of $8.4m....
T-shirt maker Gildan Activewear has reported an increased fourth-quarter profit on higher sales and a drop in raw material costs....
T-shirt maker Gildan Activewear is to launch its own branded clothing line next year, the Montreal company's president said yesterday....
T-shirt manufacturer Gildan Activewear Inc, which has reported static second-quarter profit, has decided to postpone plans to set up a large-scale textile plant in Nicaragua to focus on its current op...
- Traditional financing is a misfit for fast fashion
- Planning is key to an effective inventory strategy
- US apparel retailers' November 2016 sales roundup
- Why do modern robotics elude sportswear makers?
- Software for financial planning and operations
- US Q3 in brief – Genesco, G-III Apparel, Express
- Esquel efficiency drive continues to boost brands
- Film documents Cambodia garment workers' stories
- Columbia waterproof jacket first made without PFCs
- Pakistan suspends India cotton imports
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Footwear Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide_2016
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack