CANADA: Gildan Q1 profit lifted by revenue boost
- Q1 net profit up 18% to US$41.7m
- Net sales rise 7.3% to $451.4m
- Gross margins down slightly on lower printwear prices
Apparel company Gildan Activewear recorded an 18% rise in first quarter earnings, buoyed by revenue increases in both its major operating segments.
Printwear revenues were up 7.4% to $261.8m in the three months to 29 December, while branded apparel sales rose 7.1% to $189.6m.
Meanwhile, gross margins fell slightly – down to 26.4% from 26.8% a year ago – thanks to lower printwear prices, partially offset by a more favourable printwear product mix and slightly lower cotton costs.
Gildan said it planned capital expenditure of $300-350m in fiscal 2014, most of it on yarn-spinning, the upgrading of production facilities and the construction and acquisition of new manufacturing capacity.
For the second quarter, the Canadian company expects to record adjusted earnings per share of $0.61-64, up 3.4-8.5% on last year, on revenues of over $550m, up 5%-plus.
It reiterated its full-year forecast of net sales of $2.35bn and adjusted EPS of $3.00-3.10.
Analyst BMO Capital Markets said the results announcement contained “several bright spots”, including retail programme wins, new licensing deals and progress on capital projects.
Gildan’s strategy focuses on production downtime to better align inventory levels with projected sales and improve supply chain efficiency. The company is also seeking to further increase its presence...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The prof...
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; international trade policy...
This report provides information, analysis and valuable insight on developments relating to the global apparel industry in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate so...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change