CANADA: Gildan returns to profit in Q1
- Q1 net profit US$35.3m, versus $46.1m loss last year
- Net sales up 38.5% to $420.8m
- Slight increase to FY revenue outlook
Apparel business Gildan Activewear returned to profitability in its first quarter of fiscal 2013, boosted by lower discounting and its recent Anvil acquisition.
Gains from lower cotton costs and improved market conditions for printwear, however, were partially offset by the cost of repairs to the company’s hurricane-damaged textile facility in the Dominican Republic.
Printwear sales in the three months to 30 December soared by 65.6%, while branded apparel revenues were up 13%, Gildan said.
The company forecast full-year net sales revenues would slightly exceed its previous guidance of $2.1bn, thanks to better than expected printwear revenues.
However, it maintained its adjusted earnings guidance of $2.60-2.70 per diluted share.
Gildan’s strategy focuses on production downtime to better align inventory levels with projected sales and improve supply chain efficiency. The company is also seeking to further increase its presence...
Lower cotton costs, higher unit sales volumes, a more favourable branded product-mix, and increased supply chain and manufacturing efficiencies helped T-shirt and sock maker Gildan Activewear to a 47....
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company strategies; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; intern...
- Expensive US dollar hitting H&M sourcing costs
- Enthusiasm for tech in outdoor apparel on rise
- 2015: Welcome to the new fashion consumer
- New American Apparel CEO sees solid platform
- Outlook 2015: What's happening with sourcing?
- Kanati pulls production out of Pakistan
- EU exploring responsible garment supply chains
- Gap to close Piperlime division
- Hanesbrands invests $1.5m in US hosiery plant
- US takes final step to WTO TFA implementation
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Li & Fung Limited (494) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead