CANADA: Gilden Activewear more than doubles Q2 profit
- Q2 profit surges 168.8% to $72.3m
- Sales rose 8.4% to $523m
- Gross margins improved to 28.9%
Gildan more than doubled its second-quarter profit
Canadian apparel business Gildan Activewear has lifted its full-year outlook after more than doubling its second-quarter net profit, thanks to low cotton prices and higher sales.
The company today (2 May) said net earnings reached US$72.3m for the quarter ending 31 March, over $26.9m in the same period last year, in spite of challenging market conditions and the impact of unseasonal weather conditions.
Sales rose 8.4% to $523m from $482.6m the prior year. Printwear sales climbed 2% to $368m, while branded apparel sales jumped 27.4% $155m.
Gross margin improved to 28.9% against 17.8% last year, due to lower-cost cotton and a more favourable product mix for branded apparel.
During the first six months of the year, net earnings reached $107.6m, compared to a loss of $19.2m the year before. Sales revenues jumped 20% to $943.8m against $786.4m.
Looking forward, Gildan expects full-year adjusted earnings per share to reach $2.65-$2.70, which is at the upper end of its earlier guidance of $2.60-$2.70. Sales revenues are now forecast to be slightly in excess of $2.15bn.
Meanwhile, the company expects adjusted net earnings per share to range from $0.92 to $0.95, from $0.66 the prior year. Sales revenues are projected to be $630m.
Gildan’s strategy focuses on production downtime to better align inventory levels with projected sales and improve supply chain efficiency. The company is also seeking to further increase its presence...
Apparel & Non-Apparel Manufacturing in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The prof...
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; international trade policy...
Apparel maker Gildan Activewear Inc is planning to invest more than US$200m in two new vertical yarn-spinning facilities in the US to support its projected sales growth....
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; company rebranding; company restructuring; corporate social responsibility (CSR); fi...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- INTERVIEW: David Nieper pushes Made in UK momentum
- VF Corp bullish for second-half growth
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- ILO backs Burma project to improve work practices
- UN rights expert urges further Cambodia reforms
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies