CANADA: Gilden Activewear more than doubles Q2 profit
- Q2 profit surges 168.8% to $72.3m
- Sales rose 8.4% to $523m
- Gross margins improved to 28.9%
Gildan more than doubled its second-quarter profit
Canadian apparel business Gildan Activewear has lifted its full-year outlook after more than doubling its second-quarter net profit, thanks to low cotton prices and higher sales.
The company today (2 May) said net earnings reached US$72.3m for the quarter ending 31 March, over $26.9m in the same period last year, in spite of challenging market conditions and the impact of unseasonal weather conditions.
Sales rose 8.4% to $523m from $482.6m the prior year. Printwear sales climbed 2% to $368m, while branded apparel sales jumped 27.4% $155m.
Gross margin improved to 28.9% against 17.8% last year, due to lower-cost cotton and a more favourable product mix for branded apparel.
During the first six months of the year, net earnings reached $107.6m, compared to a loss of $19.2m the year before. Sales revenues jumped 20% to $943.8m against $786.4m.
Looking forward, Gildan expects full-year adjusted earnings per share to reach $2.65-$2.70, which is at the upper end of its earlier guidance of $2.60-$2.70. Sales revenues are now forecast to be slightly in excess of $2.15bn.
Meanwhile, the company expects adjusted net earnings per share to range from $0.92 to $0.95, from $0.66 the prior year. Sales revenues are projected to be $630m.
This report provides an update of business news in the following categories: acquisitions, divestments and mergers; corporate social responsibility (CSR); financial results; international trade policy...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Chaos in the world’s trade agreements
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Vietnam apparel industry calls for lower wage
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019