HONG KONG: Giordano books mixed H1 results
Apparel retailer Giordano International has posted a mixed set of results for its first-half as sales climbed but earnings fell.
In the six months to the end of June, net profit slid 3% to HKD340m (US$43.8m) from HKD352m a year earlier. This added HKD35m to earnings in the second half of last year. Without the gain, first-half profit was up 10%.
Sales in the period climbed 5% to HKD2.84bn from HKD2.7bn a year earlier. The retailer experienced particularly strong growth in its emerging markets of Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. The acquisition also boosted sales.
Global brand sales, however, dropped 2% due to the group's current approach of closing underperforming stores and ending subsidies to poorly performing franchise operations.
Despite declining brand sales, strong pricing and cost discipline protected profitability, particularly in mainland China where profits were broadly in line with last year, the retailer said. Sales in the region, however, dropped by 7% in Mainland China as the Group focuses on repositioning the brand in these markets.
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Children's Wear market to grow at a CAGR of 5.36 percent over the period 2013-2018. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the increasing...
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- Supply chain improvements to save Billabong $30m
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- US Q2 in brief: Genesco, Oxford, Sears Canada
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- PVH “well-positioned” in China despite headwinds
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global Sports Footwear Market 2015-2019