HONG KONG: Giordano books mixed H1 results
Apparel retailer Giordano International has posted a mixed set of results for its first-half as sales climbed but earnings fell.
In the six months to the end of June, net profit slid 3% to HKD340m (US$43.8m) from HKD352m a year earlier. This added HKD35m to earnings in the second half of last year. Without the gain, first-half profit was up 10%.
Sales in the period climbed 5% to HKD2.84bn from HKD2.7bn a year earlier. The retailer experienced particularly strong growth in its emerging markets of Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. The acquisition also boosted sales.
Global brand sales, however, dropped 2% due to the group's current approach of closing underperforming stores and ending subsidies to poorly performing franchise operations.
Despite declining brand sales, strong pricing and cost discipline protected profitability, particularly in mainland China where profits were broadly in line with last year, the retailer said. Sales in the region, however, dropped by 7% in Mainland China as the Group focuses on repositioning the brand in these markets.
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Children's Wear market to grow at a CAGR of 5.36 percent over the period 2013-2018. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the increasing...
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Pakistan textile mills fear rash of closures
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- Under Armour secures Germany and Austria deals
- Millennials "changing the game" for hosiery
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020