HONG KONG: Giordano has "challenging" year as profit slides
- FY net profit down 20%
- Gross profit margin increases to 58.7%
- Sales edge up 3%
Apparel retailer Giordano International said it had a "challenging" 2013 as it booked a decline in earnings for the full year.
Net profit in the 12 months to the end of December declined by 20% to HK$730m (US$94.1m) from HK$888m a year earlier.
Gross profit margin, however, increased 58.7% in 2012 to 60.7%, while sales edged up 3% to HK$5.85bn.
Declining sales in Mainland China, Singapore, Taiwan and Australia, offset by growth in other markets, particularly Thailand and Indonesia, and the acquisition of a controlling interest last year in Giordano Middle East. Global brand sales were down 2% for the year.
"2013 has been a challenging year for Giordano, with trading conditions across our global business reflecting weakening macro-economic forces and intense competition," said chief executive Dr. Peter Lau. "Growth in consumer demand has declined in Mainland China, Taiwan and Singapore. In Mainland China, we continue to see excess inventory in the apparel market, intense discounting by competitors and new international brand expanding their presence."
Apparel Retail in Singapore industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile also contains ...
Introduction Womenswear in Singapore industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also...
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report