Global cotton ending stock forecasts lowered
Cotton production is estimated lower in India and Pakistan
Estimates for 2015/16 global cotton ending stocks have been reduced, with lower consumption partially offsetting lower production.
According to the US Department of Agriculture's (USDA) monthly World Supply and Demand Estimates report, world ending stocks are now projected at 103.3m bales, down from 104.1m bales last month.
Production is estimated lower in India and Pakistan, down 1m bales to 26.8m bales and 200,000 bales to 7m bales respectively, based on arrivals at gins. The USDA said the reduction in India's crop reflects an early withdrawal of monsoon rainfall combined with pest damage in the northern states.
However, Australia is projected at 2.5m bales, up from 2.4m bales last month.
Consumption is reduced mainly in Pakistan – 200,000 bales to 9.6m bales – based on lower available supplies.
Meanwhile, US cotton supply and demand estimates are unchanged from February. The USDA said marginal adjustments in harvested area and yield reflect NASS's resurvey of the South Carolina crop.
The predicted average price is now forecast to range from 58-60 cents per pound, with the midpoint of 59 cents reduced from the February estimate of 59.5 cents due to declining market prices.
Sectors: Fibres & fabrics
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Using worker surveys to drive supply chain change
- Trump and Brexit get a dose of pragmatism
- Rana Plaza four years on – Timeline of change
- No US rush to Myanmar despite end to sanctions
- Where does VF supply chain sit in growth strategy?
- Amazon wins on-demand apparel manufacturing patent
- Driving ban intensifies Myanmar logistics hurdles
- Trump bolsters "buy American" with executive order
- Inditex, Adidas and Patagonia top ethical report
- Calls for supply chain transparency standard
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2022
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Clothing Market in the Top 5 American Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts