Global forum defines garment labour strategy
A global forum organised by IndustriAll and the Clean Clothes Campaign (CCC) has found strong support for the union's living wage campaign and its emphasis on industry collective bargaining.
The Hong Kong event was held to help to shape the future direction of the global network and define future campaign strategies.
During the discussion on strategies to increase garment sector wages, strong support was expressed for IndustriAll's living wage campaign, it said, and the organisation's emphasis on industry collective bargaining as a key demand.
A recurrent theme at the conference was the need for unity at national level and the barriers that multiple unions create to pursuing labour's demands.
Over the four day meeting, three key strategic themes were debated: Wages; the employment relationship and worker safety; and labour strategy towards Hong Kong and China.
"At a union side meeting organised by IndustriAll, affiliates shared their long histories of activism within the CCC network and discussed how to more closely coordinate responses and action taken by IndustriAll and by CCC, particularly in relation to cases of rights violations and global strategies," the union said.
Around 20 IndustriAll affiliates participated from Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America, North America and Africa.
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- JC Penney latest retailer to shutter stores?
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective