Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- South Korean sportswear maker, Fila Korea Ltd has signed licensing partnership deals with foreign companies to expand its overseas sales. JD Sports Fashion Plc will be given the right to produce and sell Fila-branded products in the UK and Ireland. Cravatex Ltd will be permitted to manufacture and sell Fila products in the Middle East. YONHAP NEWS AGENCY
- Sportswear brand Reebok India has appointed Mr Sajid Shamim, executive director of sales and marketing, Reebok India, as brand director of Reebok at Adidas Group. He will be responsible for the marketing and business strategies of Reebok India. THE HINDU BUSINESS LINE
- Bangladesh Garments Manufacturers and Exporters Association (BGMEA) have threatened to shut down garment factories if discussions fail on re-fixing tax at source on export goods. Finance Minister AMA Muhith was criticised for proposing a 1.5 % at source on export. Annisul Huq said the proposal of 1.5% tax is an extra burden on them when the garment industry is in trouble. ASIA PULSE
- Two Italian fashion icons, the Fiat 500 and prêt-a-porter fashion house Diesel have teamed up to produce the Fiat 500 by fashion firm Diesel. Features include denim cloth upholstery and Diesel's 'Be Brave' logo on the wheels and door sill trims. The Fiat 500 by Diesel is in Fiat showrooms now with a recommended retail price of US$31,990 for the manual version. SCOOP NEW ZEALAND
- The footwear sector has been outperforming the apparel space in 2011, according to reports. Reasons for this include pricing, weather and merchandise offerings. Footwear makers and retailers offerings include lightweight and barefoot running shoes, as well as embellishments and high heels. THE STREET
- Swedish fashion retail giant H&M began talks with India's leading mall developers with interests in fashion to open its first stores in India within 24 months, industry sources familiar with the process said. Discussions were informal as H&M is keen on firming up a business model for a key growth market like India. TIMES BUSINESS
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Adidas sportswear supplier Augusta Manufacturing is investing $5m at its factory in Nicaragua to create 500 jobs by the end of this year, and expects to double its workforce in 2012....
Manufacturer Tefron Ltd has narrowed its third quarter loss thanks to soaring sales of its seamless intimate apparel and performance activewear lines....
Retailer JD Sports Fashion is maintaining its guidance for the full year despite seeing a recent sales downturn - but the company warned that the Christmas trading period would be crucial to its fortu...
US sports wear chain The Finish Line has hired Chris Ladd from Lululemon as its new executive vice president, chief digital officer....
Supply chain specialist Fifth Avenue Sourcing (India) is set to take a stake in sourcing consultancy RegionaLink LLC, which was set up earlier this year to link US and European apparel firms with fact...
Sporting goods giant Adidas is set for a record year after third quarter profit rose 14% on an 8% revenue increase, with margins holding up thanks to increased retail sales....
German sporting goods company Adidas is eyeing a double-digit percentage rise in annual sales in the Russia/CIS region over the next three years - and expects this to be its third largest market behin...
- VF Corp confirms interest in Africa sourcing
- Euro decline weighs on Turkish clothing industry
- G-Star RAW pushes the boundaries of denim
- Will Amazon take over the US apparel market?
- US groups seek workable apparel provisions in TPP
- Metallised thread for "revolutionary" RFID tag
- UK retailers to answer over human trafficking
- Manufacturing in China falls to 15-month low
- LF Corp to streamline planning and sourcing
- VF Corp ups guidance on "strong" Q2
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Management briefing: Factory safety and auditing: The key challenges
- Global market review of workwear - forecasts to 2019
- Sustainable Textiles for Apparel: Fact, Fiction and Future Prospects