Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- Taiwan's leading garment maker Makalot Industrial Co will start building a US$13.91m garment plant in Indonesia in June. The first-stage plant is expected to be operational in the third quarter of next year and the second-stage plant by the first quarter of 2014. The maker's annual output will rise by 1.25m to over 10m dozen in 2014. CENS.com.
- LMW Textile Machinery, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lakshmi Machine Works, plans to expand capacity at its Wujiang unit. The factory will manufacture 40 machines a month, increasing from the current level of 35. It also plans to construct its own premises in the same zone. Both projects are expected to cost more than $6m. THE HINDU BUSINESS LINE.
- Indonesia's textile exports have slowed in the first quarter of this year, partly due to lower demand from one of its key buyers, the European Union (EU). Textile exports are estimated to have grown by 5% to US$3.5bn in the three-month period. Overall textile export earnings are also expected to rise by 5% this year to $13.97bn - a slowdown from the 18.2% growth seen in 2011. THE JAKARTA POST.
- India's textile sector is facing a shortage of workers. Weaving and processing employees from states including Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Orissa and Andhra Pradesh have returned to their home towns due to National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA). In the last five years, about 60,000 skilled workers from the weaving sector have shifted home due to improved employment opportunities. THE TIMES OF INDIA.
- The Union minster of state for textiles in Surat has submitted a proposal to extend the Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (TUFS). Industry experts said the city contributes to about 40% of the country's man-made fabric demand. The powerloom units and the textile processing units are the largest beneficiaries of the TUFS so far. THE TIMES OF INDIA.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- Hong Kong industry pins future on innovation
- Asian union development: is there another way?
- US Q2 in brief: Guess, PVH, Abercrombie & Fitch
- Gap restructuring weighs on Q2 as profit falls 34%
- Luen Thai to continue investment in Vietnam
- Ralph Lauren debuts biometic smart shirt
- China market woes could hit consumer spending
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019