Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- The Algerian government is seeking a partnership with the Turkish government to set up two textile production complexes worth US$2bn. Building work will start in the first quarter of 2013 in Bejaia and Galizan to export textiles to Europe and Africa. The Algerian government is expected to own 51% of the shares of the Bejaia factory and 83% of the Galizan plant, while Turkey will own the remaining stake. ZAWYA
- Vietnam's garment and textile export gained US$5.3bn trade surplus in the first eight months of the year, a 24% year-on-year increase. Garment and textile exports reached $10.8bn during the period, up 6% compared to last year, according to the Vietnam Textile and Garment Association. The country's garment and textile sector is expected to reach its $15bn export turnover target in 2012. XINHUA
- Armani Junior, a subsidiary of Italian fashion house Giorgio Armani, has teamed up with designer Suneet Varma's Unique Eye Luxury Apparel firm to open its first three stores in India. The first outlet opened last week at DFL Emporio last week. India's niche baby and children's market is growing at 20-25% a year to over $5bn. THE BUSINESS LINE
- Hong Kong-based Smart Shirts will open a factory in Bao Minh Industrial Park in the northern province of Nam Dinh, Vietnam next year. The facility will be used for fibre production, dyeing and garment making. During the first stage of the project, the clothing manufacturer will invest US$18m in a factory to produce fibre to have a capacity of 3,200 tonnes per year. VIET NAM NEWS
- Mozambique is set to rebuild its textile and clothing industry by building a new factory in the central province of Sofala to add to its current 20 facilities. In the past two year, the Office for Accelerated Development Economic Areas (GAZEDA) has received six proposals for factories in Industrial Free Zones and Special Economic Zones. ALL AFRICA
Upscale footwear, handbags and accessories retailer Coach Inc has added two executives to its creative team to help it develop into a global lifestyle brand....
US apparel and footwear business The Jones Group has appointed former Coach executive Joseph Stafiniak to the newly-created position of senior vice president of merchandising for its Nine West brand....
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Fung Capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Diversification a key focus for Under Armour
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report