Global news roundup
- India has to import nearly 4,000 tonnes of silk fabrics from China to meet growing demand. India is producing only 21,500 tonnes of raw and fabric silks, compared to the 30,000 needed. As a result, it is importing 5,000 tonnes of raw silk and 4,000 tonnes of silk from China. The country also exports silk products such as saree worth INR30bn to the US, EU and the West Asia every year. THE HINDU BUSINESS LINE
- Low-skilled workers, import sanctions and unfavourable taxes are blocking the development of Myanmar's garment industry, according to the Myanmar Garment Manufacturers Association. Workers make low quality garments from imported raw materials with total earnings reaching 10-15% of an item's total export value. The association spoke for the first time since worker unrest five months ago. THE MYANMAR TIMES
- The Pakistani government needs to increase textile exports to Saudi Arabia and Bosnia, according to sources. Pakistan's textile exports in these countries have not yet seen an improvement despite the countries offering low duties for the products. Saudi Arabia offers a 5% tariff while Bosnia offers 15% for Pakistani textiles. Saudi Arabia's total textile imports stand at $3.6bn per annum while Pakistan's share in it is $51.7m per annum. BUSINESS RECORDER
- Marks & Spencer intends to increase the amount of cotton it sources from India to 64,000 metric tonnes from 5,000 metric tonnes over the next three years, which is equivalent to the company's total global usage. As a result, the retailer will add a further 16,000 cotton farmers to the 9,000 it currently has. M&S said it will also introduce a sustainable business model in its 24 stores in the country. THE HINDU BUSINESS LINE
- US-based Brooks Sports will introduce its first running concept store in the Philippines at the end of October by teaming up with Sports Resource, the distribution division of the Quorum Group of Companies. The store is expected to help Brooks Sports meet its revenue target of 38% global growth at the end of the year with 25% of this coming from Asia Pacific. MANILA BULLETIN
Companies: Marks & Spencer
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
What else is likely to be topping the apparel industry's software agenda this year? Using technology to help mitigate risk in the supply chain, automating data capture, and greater collaboration and i...
Where should apparel firms be focusing their software investments now if they want to remain competitive into the future? According to industry experts consulted by just-style, technology agendas shou...
Faced with a raft of challenges across the apparel supply chain, how can software help tackle the key issues? Tools that connect all trading partners, streamline the end-to-end process, and give indus...
Social and environmental compliance are the main issues facing today's apparel supply chains, according to industry experts consulted by just-style. The continued shift towards faster and faster fashi...
European clothing suppliers flocked to this year's Intertextile Beijing Apparel Fabrics 2013 show to explore China-based sales, but told just-style of concerns that excess domestic inventory might imp...
As part of efforts to grow its men's wear business, UK department store operator Debenhams has signed E Tautz and Norton & Sons designer Patrick Grant as its latest Designer at Debenhams collaborator....
US clothing brand Bebe has appointed Katrina Glusac as chief merchandising officer. ...
- Why China 5-year plan won't change garment-making
- ‘Fixing Fashion’ one stitch at a time
- Navigating a turbulent sourcing landscape
- Jordan garment sector strong amid regional unrest
- Hungary offers a mix of strengths and weaknesses
- US Q3 in brief: Burlington Stores, Guess, Chico's
- German sustainable textile scheme heads to Vietnam
- Golden Lady creates a new man-made fibre
- China and ASEAN upgrade FTA
- 3D tool uses product data to shake up shopping
- Wearable technology: The future market potential for smart garments and e-textiles
- Practical Brand Sourcing Strategy
- Statistics: Trends in Global and Regional Man-made Fibre Production - 2015
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Trade and Trade Policy: The World’s Leading Clothing Exporters and Key Markets 2015