Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- Reliance Brands is reportedly in discussions to take a 50% stake in GAS Jeans. GAS Jeans owner Grotto is set to assign the brand rights for the Indian market to Reliance Brands, which operates around 60 stores for other fashion brands, including Diesel, Kenneth Cole and Thomas Pink. The company aims to sharpen its focus in India to offset slowing growth in western markets. THE TIMES OF INDIA
- Korean clothing and footwear makers are moving their facilities from China to Southeast Asia because of cheaper labour and relaxed business regulations. Underwear manufacturing company BYC Co will close two of its three factories in China next year and relocate to Indonesia. The firm is believed to be building a factory in Jakarta to produce 1m units of clothing every month. THE KOREA TIMES
- Textile and garment maker Hodo Group Co is looking to expand its presence in Sihanoukville, Cambodia to "diversify" its business. Hodo, which has already invested heavily to establish the Sihanoukville Special Economic Zone, said the investment is expected to reach $320m. The project could create 150,000 jobs for the country in the next few years. CHINA DAILY
- Competitive prices helped Vietnamese fibre and yarn exports to China to increase more than 60% in volume during the first nine months of the year. Vietnam exported over 140,600 tonnes of fibre and yarn to the largest country in East Asia to reach US$457.2m, up 60.3% in volume and 15.4% in value. Labour and power costs are much lower in Vietnam compared to China, where cotton prices are high because it is subject to import tax. THE SAIGON TIMES
- Swedish retailer Hennes & Mauritz H&M has been in talks with three Indian fashion chains to enter the Indian market. H&M is looking to get into a 51:49 joint venture with textile and apparel manufacturer Arvind, Reliance Brands or fashion house Genesis Colors. The retailer will be competing with Zara, which operates eight stores in Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore and Delhi. THE BUSINESS STANDARD
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
British fashion retailer Primark and Canadian brand Joe Fresh have confirmed that their garments were being manufactured in one of the Bangladesh factories that collapsed on Wednesday (24 April), kill...
Better-than-expected sales of its Ugg brand lifted first quarter sales at Deckers Outdoor Corporation, but higher sales costs and expenses weighed on its bottom line....
The most read stories on just-style this week include the collapse of a garment factory in Bangladesh, the extension of C&A's RFID project to 25 stores, and campaigners urging Foot Locker to cut ties ...
Lingerie company Van de Velde warned that the "very tough" consumer market was likely to negatively impact earnings for fiscal 2013, amid signs of falling sales among independent retailers across Euro...
Children's wear retailer The Children's Place has appointed its chief financial officer Michael Scarpa to the additional post of chief operating officer....
The Indian government has launched 21 new textile parks - a year and a half after they were first approved and less than a year after the funds were released....
- Yuan devaluation impact mixed for garment firms
- Will Vietnam struggle with impending trade deals?
- The new age of disruption on apparel production
- Nicaragua apparel and shoe firms to double in size
- China devaluation: what’s the big deal?
- US Q2 in brief: J Crew, Aeropostale, Bebe Stores
- H&M scaling up living wage effort to key suppliers
- Myanmar approves first minimum wage
- Adidas seeking to resolve shoe supplier dispute
- EU clothing buyers should brace for higher prices
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Apparel Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details
- Myanmar's Garment Sector in 2015 - now with updated members' directory
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Global market review of lingerie - forecasts to 2020
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020