Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- Around 16 garment factories in Bangladesh have fired their trade union leaders for the violation of labour laws by some of their members. The move comes weeks before the Labour Secretary is due to meet with US, EU, Netherlands and UK diplomats to discuss process on labour rights in the country under the Sustainability Compact signed last year. THE DAILY STAR
- The finance division of the Government of Pakistan has released PKR1.5bn (US$24.1m) to support the country's textile sector during the first six months of the current fiscal year. Parliamentary Secretary for Cabinet Secretariat, Raja Javed Ikhlas, said its top priority is to address the energy crisis to provide uninterrupted power and gas supply. RADIO PAKISTAN
- A group of Turkish investors and Iranian businessmen are to form a joint venture to open a textile plant in the central Iranian city of Delijan. Around EUR15m (US$20.4m) is expected to be invested in setting up the new facility. Iran and Turkey's trade volume is around US$30bn and is predicted to reach $100bn in nine years. ZAWYA
- One person has died and three others have been seriously injured after a fire at a garment factory in Delhi. Several workers were inside the facility when the fire broke out at the end of last month. A case of negligence has been registered. OUTLOOK INDIA
- Men's wear designer Ermenegildo Zegna has dismissed the idea of floating on the stock exchange, insisting it will remain independent. Chief executive Gildo Zegna said the company had “absolutely no intention” of listing, or selling stakes privately. He said the focus was on developing its own label. LA STAMPA
Companies: Ermenegildo Zegna
Plimsoll’s UK Clothing Retailers (UK) analysis is the most definitive and accurate study of the UK Clothing Retailers (UK) sector in 2013. The report is split into two sections and uses both a writte...
Plimsoll’s UK Menswear (UK) analysis is the most definitive and accurate study of the UK Menswear (UK) sector in 2013. The report is split into two sections and uses both a written and graphical anal...
Plimsoll’s UK Niche Fashion Retailers (UK) analysis is the most definitive and accurate study of the UK Niche Fashion Retailers (UK) sector in 2013. The report is split into two sections and uses bot...
- Why should brands care about China cotton?
- China cotton: implications and opportunities
- Low labour cost countries linked to highest risks
- COMMENT: Skills or new technology?
- Who has signed the Bangladesh safety accord?
- JC Penney share price falls on Q4 loss
- Gap names new design head amid mixed Q4
- Pay rise mulled for Sri Lanka garment workers
- Delta Galil open to M&A as profit grows
- Kohl's reverses five-quarter slump in Q4
- Myanmar's Garment Sector - Opportunities & Challenges in 2015
- Apparel Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Global market review of swimwear - forecasts to 2019
- Outdoor performance apparel: peaks, valleys, and green fields
- Management briefing: Outlook 2015: Apparel industry issues in the year ahead