Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- Around 16 garment factories in Bangladesh have fired their trade union leaders for the violation of labour laws by some of their members. The move comes weeks before the Labour Secretary is due to meet with US, EU, Netherlands and UK diplomats to discuss process on labour rights in the country under the Sustainability Compact signed last year. THE DAILY STAR
- The finance division of the Government of Pakistan has released PKR1.5bn (US$24.1m) to support the country's textile sector during the first six months of the current fiscal year. Parliamentary Secretary for Cabinet Secretariat, Raja Javed Ikhlas, said its top priority is to address the energy crisis to provide uninterrupted power and gas supply. RADIO PAKISTAN
- A group of Turkish investors and Iranian businessmen are to form a joint venture to open a textile plant in the central Iranian city of Delijan. Around EUR15m (US$20.4m) is expected to be invested in setting up the new facility. Iran and Turkey's trade volume is around US$30bn and is predicted to reach $100bn in nine years. ZAWYA
- One person has died and three others have been seriously injured after a fire at a garment factory in Delhi. Several workers were inside the facility when the fire broke out at the end of last month. A case of negligence has been registered. OUTLOOK INDIA
- Men's wear designer Ermenegildo Zegna has dismissed the idea of floating on the stock exchange, insisting it will remain independent. Chief executive Gildo Zegna said the company had “absolutely no intention” of listing, or selling stakes privately. He said the focus was on developing its own label. LA STAMPA
Companies: Ermenegildo Zegna
Plimsoll’s UK Clothing Retailers (UK) analysis is the most definitive and accurate study of the UK Clothing Retailers (UK) sector in 2013. The report is split into two sections and uses both a writte...
Plimsoll’s UK Menswear (UK) analysis is the most definitive and accurate study of the UK Menswear (UK) sector in 2013. The report is split into two sections and uses both a written and graphical anal...
Plimsoll’s UK Niche Fashion Retailers (UK) analysis is the most definitive and accurate study of the UK Niche Fashion Retailers (UK) sector in 2013. The report is split into two sections and uses bot...
- Myanmar - right time, right place, new challenges
- 3D printing gears up for fashion industry change
- Apparel working conditions linked to profit
- Cutting pollution saves China textile mills money
- Adidas worker hotline bridges communication gap
- Cambodia growth to slow on competition and cost
- China cotton imports to rise as Xinjiang cuts crop
- Adidas launches "lightest ever" football boot
- Crystal first China licensee of RevoLaze tech
- Thailand project to vertically integrate clothing