Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- Around 125 child workers have been rescued from leather manufacturing units and hotels in Mumbai, India. The victims, aged between 5 and 14 years old, were being paid INR1,000 (US$16.35) to INR3,000 a month. According to police, 32 owners of the establishments where they were found have been arrested. BUSINESS STANDARD
Around 12 Hong Kong garment manufacturers have joined forces to set up an industrial park in Myanmar: part of the 400-hectare Thilawa Special Economic Zone. The firms hope to benefit from the low cost of production in Myanmar, where wages are about 20% of those in China. The park is expected to be operational by the end of 2015. SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST
Uzbek textile businesses will increase investments in projects by 6.7% to US$165m in 2014, according to state joint stock company Uzbeklegprom. They will be funded by foreign direct investments and bank loans. It is estimated that 15m pairs of hosiery, 12m garments and 10.5m sq mt of cotton fabric will be produced this year. CA-NEWS
Benetton, Zara and H&M are among some of the companies set to purchase wool made in Kazakhstan. Kazakhstan has started exporting wool top - a semi-processed product from raw wool - to Italy, with the first 18 out of 72 tonnes having already been shipped. KAZINFORM
Taiwanese clothing manufacturer Grand Twins International is to launch an initial public offering (IPO) on the Cambodia Stock Exchange on 8 May. Funds raised will pay off debts, cover the costs of listing, and fund future expansion plans. The shares for sale are expected to equal a 20% stake in the company. THE PHNOM PENH POST
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
Zara Japan Corp continues to expand the presence of Zara and its sister brand Bershka. Two more brands were introduced into the Japanese market in 2013 and 2014 – Zara Home and Stradivarius. The compa...
Zara Ceska Republica focuses on high quality and stylish menswear and womenswear, complemented by apparel accessories and footwear in line with the latest fashion trends. It also caters to consumers w...
Zara is currently expanding in Sweden....
Italian fashion giant Benetton is being urged to make the donation it promised into the Rana Plaza Donors Trust Fund in time for the next round of compensation payments....
- How M&S plans to revamp its clothing business
- Yarn-forward rules weigh on Vietnam TPP potential
- The difference between compliance and safety?
- Footwear to see "significant" gains from TPP
- Is China really going through a slump?
- Gap accused of rights violations in supply chain
- US Q1 in brief – Guess, Burlington Stores, Sears
- M&S to see "departure" of sourcing chiefs?
- Adidas Speedfactory eyes large-scale production
- H&M, Inditex and Nike rated supply chain leaders