Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- Three people have been killed and others injured when the railing of a garment factory at Fatullah in Narayanganj Sadar Upazila collapsed last month. According to witnesses, it was the railing of the 6th floor of Kat Tex's building, which was under construction, that collapsed. FINANCIAL EXPRESS
The Vietnam National Textile and Garment Group (Vinatex) is to invest around VND4trn (US$190m) in a number of projects this year, including two plants that can dye 12-40m meters of cloth per year. It will also invest in a complex comprising a fibre, textile, garment manufacturing mill, a water supply facility, a waste water treatment plant, and worker accommodation. TUOITRE NEWS
A fire has destroyed the Tapasya Dying Unit in Bhiwandi, India. The fire took eight hours to douse but no casualties were recorded. The cause of the fire is unknown and further investigation is underway. ZEE NEWS
- The US Agency for International Development is to partner with Kenya's Busia County Governor, Sospeter Ojaamong, to build a cotton seed factory in the county in a bid to increase farmers' output. The facility will produce high yielding cotton seeds. ALL AFRICA
Jaya Shree Textiles, a unit of Aditya Birla Nuvo, is expanding the distribution of its linen business, adding cheaper linen blends and linen products for women, in a bid to tap growing demand for the premium fabric. The firm plans to generate 60-65% of its sales from linen in three to four years from 50% currently. LIVE MINT
Apparel specialist retailers witnessed a current value decline of 6% from 2011 to reach sales of below VND23 trillion in 2012. Decline was due to the economic slowdown. In 2012, the Vietnamese economy...
- What Marks & Spencer's numbers mean for clothing
- Balance essential in garment supply chain
- Tanzania adds to Africa’s apparel sourcing mix
- Where next for 3D design and prototyping?
- Supply chain weighs on Kering's green footprint
- AGOA delays drag on sourcing decisions
- Brandix named PVH ‘Global Supplier of the Year’
- American Eagle Outfitters Q1 earnings soar
- Apparel bright spot in Wal-Mart Q1
- EU and Turkey to update customs union