Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- Three people have been killed and others injured when the railing of a garment factory at Fatullah in Narayanganj Sadar Upazila collapsed last month. According to witnesses, it was the railing of the 6th floor of Kat Tex's building, which was under construction, that collapsed. FINANCIAL EXPRESS
The Vietnam National Textile and Garment Group (Vinatex) is to invest around VND4trn (US$190m) in a number of projects this year, including two plants that can dye 12-40m meters of cloth per year. It will also invest in a complex comprising a fibre, textile, garment manufacturing mill, a water supply facility, a waste water treatment plant, and worker accommodation. TUOITRE NEWS
A fire has destroyed the Tapasya Dying Unit in Bhiwandi, India. The fire took eight hours to douse but no casualties were recorded. The cause of the fire is unknown and further investigation is underway. ZEE NEWS
- The US Agency for International Development is to partner with Kenya's Busia County Governor, Sospeter Ojaamong, to build a cotton seed factory in the county in a bid to increase farmers' output. The facility will produce high yielding cotton seeds. ALL AFRICA
Jaya Shree Textiles, a unit of Aditya Birla Nuvo, is expanding the distribution of its linen business, adding cheaper linen blends and linen products for women, in a bid to tap growing demand for the premium fabric. The firm plans to generate 60-65% of its sales from linen in three to four years from 50% currently. LIVE MINT
The Vietnam National Textile and Garment Group (Vinatex) has extended the date for its initial public offering by two months to give investors more time to evaluate the firm's performance....
Vietnam has become the second largest source of foreign textiles and clothing in the US market and has established a strong presence in the Japanese and European markets, especially for clothing. Also...
The Vietnam National Textile and Garment Group (Vinatex) is hoping a planned initial public offering will help boost earnings and allow it to invest further in the business....
Apparel specialist retailers witnessed a current value decline of 6% from 2011 to reach sales of below VND23 trillion in 2012. Decline was due to the economic slowdown. In 2012, the Vietnamese economy...
- MYANMAR SNAPSHOT: Textile and apparel industry
- Alliance members buy more products from Bangladesh
- Clothing seen as central focus for new Tesco CEO
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Indian apparel exporters discuss policy changes
- Crystal Group improves worker communication
- TIMELINE: Charney ousting from American Apparel
- Columbia Sportswear fined for mislabelled clothing
- “Made in USA” company rapped for deceptive claims
- VF Corp books "solid" Q2 performance
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Ethiopia – the emerging textile and clothing industry
- Management briefing: Sourcing shifts: Changes and challenges
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. : Reacting to a need for change