Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
The Governments of Pakistan and Tajikistan have signed a memorandum of understanding for collaboration in textiles development in a bid to enhance friendly ties and promote bilateral cooperation. The scope of the memorandum extends to the exchange of information on cotton, organising training programmes, establishment of joint enterprises, exchange of experts and trade delegations. PAKISTAN TRIBUNE.
The government of Bangladesh plans to introduce a genetically modified variety of cotton to scale up production of the key textiles raw material and meet rising demand. The move follows field trials of bio-safety rules to boost production in the country. The government, however, says it will first have to find suitable land so farmers don't give up rice cultivation for cotton farming. THE DAILY STAR.
The Pakistan textile sector has unanimously rejected the revised Gas Infrastructure Development Cess (GIDC) tariff. The All Pakistan Textile Mill Association and all value-added textile associations said the Cess was not sustainable and would result in a drastic fall in exports and cause massive unemployment in the country. BUSINESS RECORDER.
Taiwan-based Yu Yuang Textile Co. has received an investment license for setting up a fabric weaving and dyeing project in the industrial area of Phuc Long in Bên Luke district. Yu Yuang will invest US$58m in the facility. It is scheduled for completion next year and will likely have production capacity of 168,000 tons of fabric per year, to be sold in both domestic and export markets. VIETMAZ.
HASFAB Wear Limited is to establish a readymade garment manufacturing facility in the Dhaka Export Processing Zone. The unit will cost US$6.9m, employing around 1,632 staff. It will have annual production capacity of 3m pieces of garments including polo-shirts, t-shirts, camisoles, shapewear and ladies intimate garments. DHAKA TRIBUNE.
- Africa courts clothing and textile investment
- Li & Fung capital helps PLM firm expand into Asia
- ANALYSIS: New pricing strategy pays off for Nike
- Bangladesh Accord calls on firms for more funding
- The current state of play in world garment exports
- Adidas investigating Cambodia faintings
- Footwear “facing increased compliance challenges"
- Matalan defends its position on Bangladesh
- Arrests made at US REI/North Face protests
- North Face commits to 100% recycled polyester
- Textile Wholesaling in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Global market review of denim and jeanswear – forecasts to 2020
- Plunkett's Apparel & Textiles Industry Almanac 2014: Apparel & Textiles Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Survey of the European Fabric Fairs: Spring/Summer 2015
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report