Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- A fire at garment factory Dignity Textile Mills located near Bangladesh capital Dhaka resulted in four floors collapsing. No deaths or injuries were reported but the factory building was inspected by the Accord. THE SUN DAILY
- Indonesia is to invest IDR3tr (US$230.15m) in its textile and garment industry this year, despite rising challenges from new electricity prices and an increase in labour costs. The majority of the investment, from foreign investors including China, South Korea and Taiwan, will be poured into Central Java. JAKARTA POST
- Lesotho's textile industry is at risk of losing 35,000 jobs if the US drops the nation from its preferential trade accord because of worsening political tension in the country, the Alliance of Progressive Trade Unions has said. The country has been in turmoil since an attempted coup in August against former Prime Minister Tom Thabane. BLOOMBERG
- Subsidy claims of around 4,500 crore by Indian textile mills may be pending with the Textile Ministry for investments made under the Technology Upgradation Fund Scheme (TUFS). The delay has dealt a blow to the industry, already crippled by a cash crunch, huge debts and poor export demand. Consequently, investments in the sector have been stopped in the current fiscal. FINANCIAL EXPRESS
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Trump and the apparel industry – Infographic
- How US border adjustment tax could affect apparel
- $1.7bn package to boost Pakistan clothing exports
- British Brexit plans prioritise tariff-free trade
- Mexico riots hit apparel retailers and shipments
- Cambodia clothing exports at risk from Brexit
- Apparel brands urge Bangladesh PM to address wages
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- American Apparel to shutter all stores?
- Better compliance "crucial" for Bangladesh growth
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022