Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media. just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
- Almost 100 people from a footwear factory in HCM City's Thu Duc District, Vietnam, were sent to hospital earlier this month, allegedly due to food poisoning. Some 40 workers received intravenous fluids. Food samples from the facility's canteen have been taken away for testing. VIETNAM NEWS
- Some 79 children have been rescued from a garment factory in Ludhiana, India. Local NGO Bachpan Bachao Andolan alleged the factory owners presented illegal documents to show some of the children were over 14 years of age. While the majority of the children, aged 8-17 years, were getting paid INR50-100 (US$0.79-1.57) per week, some were paid no wages. THE INDIAN EXPRESS
- Indonesia has raised import tariffs on clothes and a number of other consumer goods in a bid to help domestic producers. Economists, however, cautioned it won't address issues that make it difficult for domestic firms to compete, such as crumbling infrastructure and red tape. REUTERS
- In India, knitted fabrics with HS (Harmonized System) Code 6006, which covers most knitted fabrics including those with Lycra, have been left out in the list of items covered for export benefit. Exports of cotton fabrics were included, but Texprocil believes if any benefit is granted to fabrics then it should cover the entire range. THE HINDU BUSINESS LINE
- India's National Assembly Standing Committee for the textile industry has agreed to fix the intervention price of cotton at 3,000 core per 40 kg for the financial year 2015/16. However, while meetings are still to be arrange with the provincial governments of Sindh and Punjab, there are concerns this lingering will have a negative impact on growers. BUSINESS RECORDER
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Outlook 2017 – What next for apparel sourcing?
- Outlook 2017 – What else is the industry watching?
- Outlook 2017 – Strategies for sourcing success
- Is China about to burst its apparel trade bubble?
- Outlook 2017 – Challenges and opportunities
- M&S quality focus finally lifts clothing sales
- MAS Holdings planning second industrial park
- Sri Lanka on track to regain EU GSP+ benefits
- 22 dos and dont's – When sourcing goes wrong
- Aéropostale to reopen 500 stores across the US
- Global apparel markets: product developments and innovations, October 2016
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022
- Anti-odour clothing: fresh fashion for an active lifestyle
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar