Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media.
- India's union minister of state for textile, Santosh Kumar Gangwar, said approval has been granted for seven textile parks in Rajasthan under the scheme for integrated textile parks (SITP) to generate jobs and attract investments. HINDUSTAN TIMES
- American & Efird (A&E), the world's second largest manufacturer and distributor of industrial sewing and embroidery thread, has achieved 100% zero waste to landfills in each of its US manufacturing facilities as well as its two corporate office buildings. SPORTS TEXTILES
- Schoeller Textil has developed a 100% recyclable, completely sustainable concept for the workwear segment. The 'Inspire' textiles are available in various weights and either as plain weave or in a twill version. A supple soft-shell double fabric is also on offer and is breathable, hard-wearing and both water and dirt repellant. PR NEWSWIRE
- The median take-home pay of a Cambodian garment factory employee is US$191, higher than the minimum wage, but lower than what employers have claimed, a survey commissioned by labour rights groups has found. The median included the minimum wage, overtime, seniority pay, bonuses and allowances for food and transport, and money earned from any side business. CAMBODIA DAILY
- The Sri Lankan Government is exploring the possibility of manufacturing textiles using fibre taken from bamboo and plantain trees. It is also exploring the possibility of using fibre from the wetakeiya plant and pineapple trees for textile production. SRI LANKA GOVT
just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020