Global news roundup
The following is a round-up of apparel and footwear news from the world's local media.
- China will cut import tariffs on nearly 800 items from 1 January, including clothing, the Ministry of Finance has said. Import tariffs for leather coats will be cut from 23% to 10%. SHANGHAI DAILY
- Hundreds of Punjab textile mills have threatened to close down unless the federal government helps to address industry competitiveness. The All Pakistan Textile Mills Association (Aptma) will this month call a conference of stakeholders of the entire textile chain, including the value-added sector, to evolve a joint protest strategy. DAWN
- A protest involving 30,000 Cambodian garment workers demanding a rise in the minimum wage has entered its second day. The workers from 39 factories in the Manhattan, Tai Seng 1 and Tai Seng 2 Special Economic Zones (SEZ) in Svay Rieng province's Bavet town started to break windows and destroy factory property as they want the minimum wage to increase to $148 a month. The minimum wage is set to rise to $140 in January.
- Bangladesh's apparel value chain is growing faster than any other Asian country because of low-cost manufacturing firms shifting out of China, according to the Asian Economic Integration Report 2015 produced by the Asian Development Bank (ADB). DHAKA TRIBUNE
- One hundred US congressmen from cotton-growing states are pressing the Obama administration for price supports to help struggling US farmers, in the first push to introduce new subsidies since losing a trade case with Brazil last year. The industry's support programme was gutted in the 2014 Farm Bill after the US settled a trade case with Brazil with promises that it would not give direct subsidies for fibre. But cottonseed, a by-product, can be made eligible. REUTERS
just-style has not checked these stories so cannot guarantee their accuracy.
An interactive databank with intelligence on the major apparel sourcing countries
- Fashion fit for the future – strategies for speed
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Pakistan industry seeks help to kickstart exports
- Child refugees found in Turkey apparel factories
- Chinese manufacturer invests $20m in US facility
- US Q3 in brief - Under Armour, VF Corp, Skechers
- Reebok Liquid Factory reinvents shoe production
- Managing change in the move to new tech tools
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020