UK: Global Textiles Exchange Launched
A new Internet site hopes to revolutionize the textiles industry by offering a single access point to a global trading tool for the buying and selling of fabrics. TextileSolutions.com ― which is backed by Arkwright Capital, Kjell Spangberg of Emerging Technology Ltd and a Swedish state pension fund ― aims to ensure faster delivery by slashing lead times by up to two weeks per order and cut transaction costs by at least 30 per cent.Worth an estimated US$115 billion in Europe alone, the textile market is highly fragmented with over 120,000 buyers and suppliers of fabrics. TextileSolutions will allow buyers to search for a specific fabric, order a sample, negotiate with the seller, place the full order and transportation and track the order to actual delivery. Fabric suppliers can promote products and negotiate with a global audience, and consolidation of trading processes obviously presents significant time and cost savings for buyers and suppliers alike.Tommy Lowback, managing director of TextileSolutions, says: "The UK textile industry is facing two key challenges: competition from the Far East and decreasing lead times to get new lines into the shops. Manufacturers need faster and faster access to fabrics from around the world. There is no standard ordering process in the UK and it's very expensive and time-consuming for buyers and suppliers to find each other."This view is supported by Dave Binns, head of UK sales, who adds: "You are not restricted to suppliers you know about; you can search for new ones and order samples. It gives you more options because buyers have access to a huge number of suppliers, and suppliers can offer their fabrics to buyers anywhere in the world. You can trade at any time, from anywhere and because TextileSolutions handles the entire transaction, through negotiation to payment to delivery, it's faster, more efficient and therefore much more cost-effective."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- Digitalisation and data to disrupt supply chains
- EU eyes mandatory due diligence for apparel supply
- Unlocks for the future fashion sourcing landscape
- What TTIP might mean for US, EU textiles & apparel
- Geo-political uncertainty and how to survive it
- Li & Fung forms supply chain partnership with PVH
- US Q4 in brief – G-III Apparel, Finish Line
- Big data to help US firms improve clothing fit
- Levi Strauss and ILO probe Cambodia factory death
- Sustainable fashion app to help shopping decisions
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Central America strategic sourcing review - a focus on Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective