UK: Goliath Footwear Axes More Jobs
A manufacturer of industrial footwear has announced another round of redundancies at its factory in Yorkshire.Goliath Footwear, which is part of the Co-operative Wholesale Society, is to cut its workforce at Heckmondwike, near Leeds in West Yorkshire by 40. These latest job losses come just seven months after the company made 49 people at the factory redundant, and it will mean that the workforce at Heckmondwike has been halved this year. Goliath currently employs 120 people. The 40 redundancies will take place over the next three months, and management at the factory is talking to the two trade unions concerned, KFAT and MSF. Just a few years ago the factory, which specialises in the production of safety footwear, employed 300 people, but the company says it has been hit by intensifying competition from imported footwear."We very much regret having to make this move, but the highly competitive situation in the safety footwear market leaves us with no choice," said a spokesman for the company. "Some 75 per cent of UK safety footwear is now sourced from overseas and the strength of the pound has exacerbated this situation. In order to compete more effectively in the changed marketplace and meet the needs of our customers, we have had to follow other UK safety footwear suppliers by introducing imported goods into our own range."As a result, the production capacity at the Heckmondwike factory is being reduced to ensure that the factory remains profitable."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-style gives you the widest apparel and textile market coverage.
Paid just-style members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Leonie Barrie, editor of just-style
Help test our new apparel sourcing tool.
- China leads US apparel sources with falling prices
- Hard hit Turkish industry is not knocked out
- "Power of the many" drives change at Otto Group
- Vietnam grows share of US apparel imports in 2016
- US apparel sector braces for potential cost hikes
- US Q4 in brief – Foot Locker, Nordstrom, Carter's
- Bangladesh crackdown has cost garment sector $100m
- Adidas and Burberry recognised for sustainability
- Inditex and H&M boycott Dhaka Apparel Summit
- Macy's will "do the right thing", says Lundgren
- When Things Go Wrong - A Practical Guide to Managing Common Problems in Apparel Sourcing
- Outdoor performance apparel 2016: A broader perspective
- Technical textile markets: product developments and innovations, December 2016
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Global market review of lingerie – forecasts to 2022