USA: Goody's Buys Duck Head For $4m
Leading apparel chain Goody's Family Clothing Inc on Monday announced it had acquired the Duck Head trademarks and four related licenses from Tropical Sportswear Int'l Corp (TSI) for $4 million in cash.
The Tennessee-based operator of 330 stores will assume all licenses associated with the Duck Head trademark effective immediately and allow TSI to continue to sell existing Duck Head inventory for a period of time.
The company's existing line-up of private brands includes Ivy Crew, Old College Inn and RMG Chairman's Collection for men; Mountain Lake and GoodClothes for women, and Baby Crew, GoodKidz, and OCI for children.
"With its history of classic styling, understandable fashion and heritage of quality, we believe that the Duck Head brand has a universal appeal that makes it a great fit into our stable of established private brands," said Max Jones, Goody's EVP of merchandising.
"We plan to maximise Duck Head's potential across our product divisions, including men's, women's and children's."
TSI president and CEO, Christopher Munday, added: "In addition to being a good decision financially, the sale of the Duck Head brand and exiting the retail outlet store business will free up valuable resources and allow us to focus on our core business."
He added some of the sale proceeds will used for the accelerated closure of its Duck Head retail stores with all outlets now expected to be closed by this November.
The Duck Head brand was conceived by brothers George and Joe O'Bryan early last century after their innovative trouser design, cut and sewn from the closely woven tent material became known as "Duck".
Companies: Asda Group Limited
Supermarket chain Asda is to take on 2,800 new employees across its British stores as it continues to expand into non-food sectors including clothing....
High-street retailer Marks & Spencer today reported a 19.6 per cent hike in first-half profits - and made the surprise announcement that Per Una founder George Davies is to stay on at the company, a m...
Retailer Goody's Family Clothing has signed a definitive deal to be bought by buyout companies GMM Capital and Prentice Capital for $9.60 per share....
Retail store operator Goody's Family Clothing said the recently received acquisition bid from private investment firms Prentice Capital Management and GMM Capital tops that offered by original suitor ...
City analyst Richard Ratner has warned of a legal clash between high-street chain Marks & Spencer and George Davies, founder of its Per Una range, if Davies continues with his plan to establish a comp...
Design consultant George Davies, who last week announced his departure from Marks & Spencer's Per Una fashion brand, is planning to establish a stand-alone clothing chain to rival M&S....
Regional department store chain Goody's has started new takeover negotiations after receiving a bid that values the retailer at about $280 million....
Family department store chain Goody's Family Clothing Inc has signed a definitive deal to be bought for almost $273 million by an affiliate of private-investment company Sun Capital Partners Inc....
- Under Armour Lighthouse will disrupt production
- Will new Vietnam wage hinder competitiveness?
- How TAL Apparel is staying ahead of the game
- Digitisation to drive new apparel-making models
- Ethiopia violence undermines sourcing strategies
- Marks & Spencer top for modern slavery reporting
- Bangladesh garment workers rally for higher wages
- MAS Holdings shares commitment to sustainability
- H&M CEO named sustainability leader
- Gap to shutter all UK Banana Republic stores
- Africa-Med strategic sourcing review – comparing East Africa, North Africa and Turkey
- REPORT BUNDLE: Africa-Med, Southeast Asia and Central America strategic sourcing pack
- Southeast Asia strategic sourcing review – a focus on Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar
- Apparel (GLOBAL) - Industry Report
- Global Sports and Fitness Wear Market 2016-2020